Scope of NatureNS: Re: Long again: Re: Long: Re: [NatureNS] light

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 13:37:09 -0400

ads ?,Aug

------=_NextPart_000_0728_01D01D23.381F9880

Hi Paul,
    My enigma machine is down so the thrust of your post is not clear. I =
have never heard of John Murtagh so you must know my nephew who has =
never heard of him either.
   =20
    Corn to ethanol was promoted as a carbon neutral fuel and, if =
produced using manure, elbow grease and ox or horse power then perhaps =
it gets close to that. But when it is produced using the intensive =
inputs of industrial agriculture then the overall system generates more =
carbon emission than use of petrochemicals without ethanol. And the =
subsidized ethanol fuel market resulted in less food corn production, =
higher food prices and hardship for those with a traditional diet high =
in corn.

    And I object to the insinuation that I selectively support only =
ideas generated by government employees because that is 100% off base. I =
judge ideas on merit not origin.

    I do however strongly support the value of Government funded science =
provided it is entirely free of pressure, especially political pressure. =
That resource in needed to keep industry somewhat honest and to act as =
an advisory source for government. A large amount in industrial research =
in the US is (or has been) actually funded by government to mutual =
advantage.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville.=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20