[NatureNS] Scat

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 21:24:12 -0400

Hi Nick & All,                    Dec 22, 2014
    Why plants grow where they do, how they get there and the interaction of
flora & fauna are all interesting questions and sometimes difficult to
untangle by brute force whereas a telling observation may offer a clue.
    Jack-in-the-Pulpit is a good example; usuallly described as being found
in wet areas or wooded swamps. So one might be led to assume that it
requires wet soil.
    But some extremely vigorous plants (~1 M tall and large leaved) that I
found shortly after 1995 were on soil with extreme surface drainage and good
internal drainage. These were on overburden that had been pushed into a
ravine when the 101 was built (west of Exit 13), about 1970 I think, and
after about 25 years the soil was still shifting as evidenced by trees of
various sizes leaning downslope and earth that had dammed behind large trees
and left a cavity on the downslope side.
    So this plant does not need wet soil it needs loose or shifting soil,
perhaps for penetration of the radicle or more likely for burial of the
seed. Wet sites often are subject to the growth of capillary ice (or ice
whiskers), and typically these minature ice forests will underlie a skim of
surface soil and contain small lenses of soil at depth. If these ice forests
melt from the surface downward, usually the case unless flooded from
upslope, any seed in the surface layer would have a good chance to be
buried.
    I overlooked a second indication at the time but it is rather clear that
some animal, probably a bird, planted those seeds on the bank by eating the
fruit in some swamp and depositing the seeds on the soil bank.
    Sometime when there is a lull in Naturens traffic, and I have time, I
will dig out some observations about dispersal of Common Lady's Slipper and
Epipactis helleborine.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville