[NatureNS] Frog Pond (Halifax) - Non-native Aquatic

Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 14:34:54 -0400
From: Nicholas Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Yes, this is Cabomba and not Ceratophyllum which is closest morphologically.
Flora Michigan says: "A native of southeastern states from Texas to
Florida northward, this species has become established as far north as
New England and southern MI, perhaps escaped from cultivation."
"This is our only aquatic vascular plant with opposite leaves (rarely
whorled) much dissected leaves on distinct petioles (5-15 mm long on
well developed leaves). The palmate pattern of dissection results in a
characteristic fan shaped leaf." (Vos and Reznicek, 2012)

Congratulations! You should put in a note to the Canadian Field
Naturalist on the find, the conditions, maybe something on the water
quality and any development near Frog Pond.
And specimens to Acadia (Ruth Newell) and Museum (Marian Munroe).
Also might send one to ACCDC (Sean Blaney). There is no note of this
species in the ACCDC records for NS NB or PEI.

Cool

Nick

>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myriophyllum
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabomba_caroliniana