[NatureNS] Kingston XBC -highlights

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>, <ns-rba@yahoogroups.com>
CC: <rdblackert@hotmail.com>, <lrajnys@cox.net>,
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 02:42:39 -0400

--_6ce490e4-66c2-48ff-a4b3-35b35e4fd705_

Our 47th Kingston Xmas Bird Count was held Saturday 27 December 2014=2C and=
 early results show it to have been one of the most interesting ever. The w=
eather was mild=2C there was no precipitation nor snow on the ground=2C so =
nearly all roads were accessible (if not all passable). This was great for =
field parties=2C although feeder observers often commented that most birds =
were staying away. These results are based on reports from the eleven field=
 parties and a few feeder reports that were already in (most have not yet b=
een picked up).
So far=2C we have 68 species (a few not yet confirmed with rare bird report=
s)=2C our second-highest total ever=2C and still have a chance of adding a =
few more. Rarest were four species new to our cumulative count list (Americ=
an Wigeon and Northern Pintails in a rare mixed flock of dabblers in Aylesf=
ord East=2C Hooded Mergansers in Melvern Square=2C and an Orange-crowned Wa=
rbler along McNally Road on the North Mountain). Another species that we ha=
d hoped to add=2C the Middleton Western Tanager=2C was missed by the field =
parties=2C although seen on Boxing Day=3B we can only hope that the residen=
ts observed it. The other Middleton rarity=2C the Yellow-throated Warbler=
=2C was seen for our second-ever record for it.
The two teams with some Fundy coast in their zones both did amazingly well=
=2C given the high waves and wind. They got 12 regular coastal species (all=
 except Purple Sandpiper)=2C plus Iceland Gull=2C Ring-billed Gull=2C and D=
ovekie=2C each for the third-ever count record. They also had 39 large alci=
ds too far out or too briefly seen to be certainly identified=2C which Rich=
ard Stern now considers were likely Razorbills. Other species found by only=
 one field party included Bufflehead (Margaretsville)=2C Brown Creeper (Nor=
th Mountain)=2C Canada Goose (Middleton)=2C Red-bellied Woodpecker (Wilmot)=
=2C Northern Goshawk and Sharp-shinned Hawk (Kingston)=2C Barred Owl=2C Red=
-winged Blackbird=2C and Brown-headed Cowbird (Millville)=2C and Merlin=2C =
Pine Grosbeak=2C and Common Redpoll (Torbrook).
Thanks to all participants=3B I hope to have all results compiled and avail=
able on the Audubon website by Jan. 20=2C if we can get all rare bird forms=
=2C photos=2C and feeder reports in by then!
Good Birding and a Happy New Year=2C
Wayne Neily
Tremont=2C NS
 		 	   		  =

--_6ce490e4-66c2-48ff-a4b3-35b35e4fd705_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
t was held Saturday 27 December 2014=2C and early results show it to have b=
een one of the most interesting ever. The weather was mild=2C there was no =
precipitation nor snow on the ground=2C so nearly all roads were accessible=
 (if not all passable). This was great for field parties=2C although feeder=
 observers often commented that most birds were staying away. These results=
 are based on reports from the eleven field parties and a few feeder report=
s that were already in (most have not yet been picked up).<br>So far=2C we =
have 68 species (a few not yet confirmed with rare bird reports)=2C our sec=
ond-highest total ever=2C and still have a chance of adding a few more. Rar=
est were four species new to our cumulative count list (American Wigeon and=
 Northern Pintails in a rare mixed flock of dabblers in Aylesford East=2C H=
ooded Mergansers in Melvern Square=2C and an Orange-crowned Warbler along M=
cNally Road on the North Mountain). Another species that we had hoped to ad=
d=2C the Middleton Western Tanager=2C was missed by the field parties=2C al=
though seen on Boxing Day=3B we can only hope that the residents observed i=
t. The other Middleton rarity=2C the Yellow-throated Warbler=2C was seen fo=
r our second-ever record for it.<br>The two teams with some Fundy coast in =
their zones both did amazingly well=2C given the high waves and wind. They =
got 12 regular coastal species (all except Purple Sandpiper)=2C plus Icelan=
d Gull=2C Ring-billed Gull=2C and Dovekie=2C each for the third-ever count =
record. They also had 39 large alcids too far out or too briefly seen to be=
 certainly identified=2C which Richard Stern now considers were likely Razo=
rbills. Other species found by only one field party included Bufflehead (Ma=
rgaretsville)=2C Brown Creeper (North Mountain)=2C Canada Goose (Middleton)=
=2C Red-bellied Woodpecker (Wilmot)=2C Northern Goshawk and Sharp-shinned H=
awk (Kingston)=2C Barred Owl=2C Red-winged Blackbird=2C and Brown-headed Co=
wbird (Millville)=2C and Merlin=2C Pine Grosbeak=2C and Common Redpoll (Tor=
brook).<br>Thanks to all participants=3B I hope to have all results compile=
d and available on the Audubon website by Jan. 20=2C if we can get all rare=
 bird forms=2C photos=2C and feeder reports in by then!<br>Good Birding and=
/body>

--_6ce490e4-66c2-48ff-a4b3-35b35e4fd705_--