[NatureNS] Frog Pond (Halifax) - Non-native Aquatic - Fanwort

Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 16:18:54 -0400
From: Nicholas Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

This was actually suggested when yellow floating heart was found in
Little Abro but the correlation between human disturbance and exotic
plants is very strong.  Although there is a minority of species that
may invade undisturbed natural systems, in NS it is really only the
glossy buckthorn and maybe rugosa rose that invade undisturbed
systems. The observation (John and Nhung) that purple loosestrife,
branded as purple killer 20years ago, has not made inroads into native
habitat in NS is a case in point. We have some what might be thought
of as, highly vulnerable, high diversity coastal plain lakeshores in
SW NS. The lakeshores are naturally scoured every year from ice and
water level fluctuations and yet, the only time we have seen any
exotic plants on these wet meadow fringes of the lakes, is after lakes
have been dammed or, as in the Carleton system that has been
artificially fertilized by mink farm wastes, enriched.

We can manage wild systems as if they were agricultural and spray to
make sure we have all natives but we would end up disturbing more the
balance of these systems making them more invadable. An example of
this was when Kings county stopped spraying roadsides to control
ragweed and how this resulted in a dramatic, widespread reduction in
roadside ragweed. Given that there is HRM water quality evidence that
Frog Pond suffered some water quality disruption, it would be more
prudent to monitor this population of Cabomba. If monitoring shows it
is still spreading, one can then harvest it and this would help water
quality by removing the nutrients the plant had scrubbed in times when
excess nutrients were available.

Nick