[NatureNS] Frog Pond

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 14:44:28 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0A59_01D02508.47C05EE0

Dear All,                    Dec 31, 2014
    I agree to some extent with all comments made about Frog Pond. Yes =
with Nick that 'invasions' frequently reflect an inbalance of some kind. =
Yes with Dusan that dog do and ducks could readily account for =
occasional coliform peaks. And yes with Fred that a truly "invasive" =
species should readily be able to invade "undisturbed" habitats (and =
therefore we have few to no invasive plants). And also yes, the presence =
of Cabomba
 caroliniana in the pond demonstrates that somehow a propagule got there =
and perhaps nothing else.

[    From the biogeographic viewpoint, ponds and river drainage systems =
are islands in a sea of land. The presence of an aquatic species =
demonstrates that it can survive there but absence may demonstrate only =
that, by bad luck, it has yet to be 'introduced' by some vector. =
Consequently one native aquatic species may fill a pond with growth, if =
by chance other competition has not arrived, and thereby seem to be =
invasive which in a sense it is. Some aquatics are widespread; of 19 =
Potamogeton species known in California by 1963 (Munz & Keck), 15 are =
also present in Nova Scotia. ]

    To see what Frog Pond was like I Google-earthed it. It looks like a =
sump, fed by runoff from housing on two sides and with little or no =
outflow drainage. Someone in Halifax must have a conductivity meter and =
the means to calibrate it with standard KCl. I don't know how old those =
developments are but if >10 years I would expect abnormally high =
conductivity/salinity. But Cabomba caroliniana apparently does not =
tolerate high salinity  (in one US study it was not found in salinity > =
0.5 ppt (the limit between fresh & brackish). If there is no outflow =
then the'problem' may be solved by runoff and evaporation.=20

    As for control, I think it helps to step back and consider the =
broader picture. Against the backdrop of climate change and habitat =
degradation, to name just two of many serious problems, the potential =
spread of Cabomba caroliniana has an automatic score of zero on my =
concern index. And if it does grow vigorously here then it might indeed =
be useful for capture of excessive nutrients; e.g. phosphorus. =
[Pointless programs to eradicate invasives, usually  mine canaries, just =
deflect attention and resources from the underlying causes.]

    There was concern this summer about dense stands of vascular =
aquatics in some lake near Halifax (Lake William ?) and talk of a =
$100,000 mowing machine. So some practical experience in vascular plant =
harvesting may be long overdue. Vascular aquatics have arenchyma so will =
float when cut off, so it should not be difficult to devise affordable =
means to harvest aquatics in a diversity of settings.

   =20
    Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

   =20

   =20

------=_NextPart_000_0A59_01D02508.47C05EE0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV>Dear All,&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Dec 31, 2014</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I agree to some extent with all comments made=20
about&nbsp;Frog Pond. Yes with Nick that 'invasions' frequently reflect =
an=20
inbalance&nbsp;of some kind. Yes with Dusan that dog do and ducks could =
readily=20
account for occasional coliform peaks. And yes with Fred that a truly =
"invasive"=20
species should readily be able to invade "undisturbed" habitats (and =
therefore=20
we have few to no invasive plants). And also yes,&nbsp;the presence of=20
<EM>Cabomba<BR>&nbsp;caroliniana</EM> in the pond demonstrates that =
somehow a=20
propagule got there and perhaps nothing else.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>[&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; From the biogeographic viewpoint, ponds and =
river=20
drainage systems are islands in a sea of land. The presence of an =
aquatic=20
species demonstrates that it can survive there but absence may =
demonstrate only=20
that, by bad luck, it has yet to&nbsp;be 'introduced' by some vector.=20
Consequently one native aquatic species may fill a pond with growth, if =
by=20
chance other competition has not arrived, and thereby seem to be =
invasive which=20
in a sense it is. Some aquatics are widespread; of 19 Potamogeton =
species known=20
in California&nbsp;by 1963 (Munz &amp; Keck), 15 are also present in =
Nova=20
Scotia.&nbsp;]</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; To see what Frog Pond was like I Google-earthed =
it. It=20
looks like a sump, fed by runoff from&nbsp;housing on two sides =
and&nbsp;with=20
little or no outflow drainage. Someone in Halifax must have a =
conductivity meter=20
and the means to calibrate it with standard KCl. I don't know how old =
those=20
developments are but if &gt;10 years I would expect abnormally high=20
conductivity/salinity.&nbsp;But=20
<EM>Cabomba&nbsp;caroliniana&nbsp;</EM>apparently does not tolerate=20
high&nbsp;salinity&nbsp; (in&nbsp;one US study it was not found in =
salinity &gt;=20
0.5 ppt (the limit between fresh &amp; brackish). If there is no outflow =
then=20
the'problem' may be&nbsp;solved by runoff and evaporation.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; As for control, I think it helps to step back =
and=20
consider the broader picture. Against the backdrop of climate change and =
habitat=20
degradation, to name just two of many serious problems, the potential =
spread of=20
<EM>Cabomba&nbsp;caroliniana&nbsp;</EM>has an automatic score of zero on =
my=20
concern index. And if it does grow vigorously here then it might indeed =
be=20
useful for capture of excessive nutrients; e.g. phosphorus. [Pointless =
programs=20
to eradicate invasives,&nbsp;usually&nbsp; mine canaries,&nbsp;just =
deflect=20
attention and resources from the underlying causes.]</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; There was concern this summer about dense stands =
of=20
vascular aquatics in some lake near Halifax (Lake William ?) and talk of =
a=20
$100,000 mowing machine. So some practical experience in vascular plant=20
harvesting may be long overdue. Vascular aquatics have arenchyma so will =
float=20
when cut off, so it should not be difficult to devise affordable means =
to=20
harvest aquatics in a diversity of settings.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0A59_01D02508.47C05EE0--