[NatureNS] More about pine cones: Fw: Dry Pine cones while the sun shines

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 20:31:02 -0400

Dear All,                                         Dec 31, 2014
    Earlier this year I noticed pine cones spread out presumably to dry but
I have doubts about that now. These were spread in depressions, that
happened to be well drained, but perhaps soaking was intended. By Dec. 14
about half of those cones had either been eaten or piled near the home stump
but the remainder were neatly packed along a wide mossy rut in  the woods
road and under about 1" of water. By Dec. 29 all pine cones had been removed
from the road and higher ground near the feeding stump was pocked with holes
surely not to bury pine cones; spruce cones perhaps.
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville