[NatureNS] Maple with wavy grain.

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 16:48:49 -0400

Thanks George,                                    Jan 4, 2015
    Red Maple wood is likely more variable than other native trees. Some
will split, even when not frozen, with a mere tap of an axe and others are
very resistant to splitting. This tree was extremely difficult to split so
that may be a cue that the grain may be interesting.
    The odd Poplar (probably grandidentata) can also be hard to split; hard
enough that it gets left intact for beetle food.
Yt, DW, Kentville