[NatureNS] Re: David Suzuki on energy reduction

From: At <hamst@xplornet.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 21:19:58 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Apple-Mail-0927DF8E-0849-43EF-99D8-7D8C2BF21DC1

I got the links!

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 5, 2015, at 7:35 PM, darrell@abolitphotos.ca wrote:
>=20
>  Every time I try to give a link the e-mail gets blocked so here are the d=
irections... Go to the David Suzuki Foundation and then into the drop down m=
enu of "What you Can Do" In there are two articles to whch the two quotes ar=
e from below, "Energy efficient lighting" & "Cut your energy use" I think th=
is David is more credible than some others. As to the quote of how much ener=
gy is saved by one 60 watt bulb in every household below. In the Smithsonian=
 show it stated that if one bulb was changed in every household in the USA i=
t would save 4 nuclear power plants.
> =20
> Quotes...
> "And speaking of light bulbs, more dark in winter means more lights. Switc=
hing to compact fluorescents from incandescent bulbs will make a big differe=
nce. The CFLs last longer and use 75 to 80 percent less electricity. If 110 m=
illion households replaced just one 60-watt incandescent bulb with a CFL, th=
e energy saved would power a city of 1.5 million people. Take two minutes to=
day to make the switch."
>=20
> "Switching to energy efficient lighting represents a great opportunity to r=
educe your carbon footprint and save money on your electricity bill. While t=
here are obvious environmental benefits to switching to more efficient light=
ing, consumers need to be aware of safe handling and disposal practices.
> Mercury
> In order to achieve this energy savings, CFLs require a small amount of me=
rcury in their design; far less than the amount contained in other common us=
es such as watch batteries or dental fillings. Moreover, because coal fired-=
power is Canada's largest source of human-made mercury emissions, the use of=
 efficient CFLs actually results in less mercury released into the environme=
nt overall."
> =20
> All the best,
> =20
> ps.  LED's are on sale now, no mercury and more efficient than CFL's, no w=
arm up time either.
>=20
>=20
> =20
> =20

--Apple-Mail-0927DF8E-0849-43EF-99D8-7D8C2BF21DC1

directions... Go to the David Suzuki Foundation and then into the drop down menu
of "What you Can Do" In there are two articles to whch the two quotes are from
below, "Energy efficient lighting" &amp; "Cut your energy use" I think this
David is more credible than some others. As to the quote of how much energy is
saved by one 60 watt bulb in every household below. In the Smithsonian show it
stated that if one bulb was changed in every household in the USA it would save
4 nuclear power plants.</p>
Switching to compact fluorescents from incandescent bulbs will make a big
difference. The <span class="caps">CFL</span>s last longer and use 75 to 80
percent less electricity. If 110 million households replaced just one 60-watt
incandescent bulb with a <span class="caps">CFL, </span>the energy saved would
power a city of 1.5 million people. Take two minutes today to make the
reduce your carbon footprint and save money on your electricity bill. While
there are obvious environmental benefits to switching to more efficient
lighting, consumers need to be aware of safe handling and disposal
practices.</p>
require a small amount of mercury in their design; far less than the amount
contained in other common uses such as watch batteries or dental fillings.
Moreover, because coal fired-power is Canada's largest source of human-made
mercury emissions, the use of efficient <span class="caps">CFL</span>s actually
results in less mercury released into the environment overall."</p>
warm up time either.</p>

--Apple-Mail-0927DF8E-0849-43EF-99D8-7D8C2BF21DC1--