[NatureNS] Snow Rollers.

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 19:19:28 -0400

We have been seeing them here as well in White Point and Hunts Point in
Queens as well. Kind of neat. Marg Millard
Hi all,

Had the first ski of the season on the lake here, and was rewarded with
seeing the lake mostly covered with snow rollers. Have never seen them to
that extent before, just a few here and there. Guess all the other ones had
rolled away the times I happened by. ;-)

Was pretty cool, and added some images on my Flickr page if anyone wants to
head over and see them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/102019655@N08/

Actually saw some of them move when it got gusty (and frigid), but by the
time I got the camera out, and into movie mode it stopped. grr..

Here is a Wiki link explaining the phenomenon. (Nerd alert!)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_roller

Cheers,
Gary Murray
Tucker Lake