[NatureNS] Oriole Flock, Halifax -> mealworms

From: Susann Myers <myerss@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 23:12:45 -0400

Hi, Steve.

Yes, these are live mealworms.  As soon as orioles appear at my feeders,
generally in November, I work on getting them used to a regular feeding
schedule, partly to avoid conflicts with starlings.  The orioles are waiting
to pounce at feeding time and, as you suggest, the mealworms are not exposed
to cold temperatures for more than a couple of minutes.  I provide them to
the birds in clay saucers, which I bring in to warm up between feedings - it
would seem too much like mealworm torture, otherwise.

If I want to leave mealworms out for longer periods, I put them in my large
bird-feeding cage, which has a heated floor - the heater is a string of
"old-fashioned" outdoor Christmas lights.  I've heard of others in the past
providing mealworms in a saucer on top of a container of hot water, for
instance for a warbler that was going to pop into a concealed feeding
station occasionally through the day.

I raise some mealworms myself, in colonies with all stages including the
beetles, and friends have been supplying me with welcome additions this
winter.  But I also buy some - have just placed an order with SuperCricket
in Saskatchewan, which has been a reliable supplier in the past.

Don Codling in Sackville has developed an awesome system for raising
mealworms, and storing them in the refrigerator in cold-arrest.  I'm much
less disciplined.

If you'd ever like to contribute blowfly larvae to a worthy cause, the
orioles would be delighted!

Cheers,
Susann