[NatureNS] Oriole Flock, Halifax -> mealworms

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 01:09:29 +0000

just stayed in the box in the bed of
Hi Susann and Gayle,
Thanks for the info on how to feed live larvae of mealworms (or probably anything larval) to special birds, at freezing temperatures.   I'm not equipped to provide heat on a regular basis, but suppose I could improvise with a container of hot water as suggested.  The old light bulbs under a presumably false floor sounds an ingenious solution that I might consider.  My problem is that the downys, occasional hairys and flickers, and chickadees do quite well already on hanging suet logs (~3:1 suet to peanut butter), while I only breed the fly larvae about every 5 weeks, a long time to wait for an oriole, and a rather smelly operation near the end to boot.  The larvae out-compete bacteria initially on fresh liver, but eventually it reverses on the partly eaten smelly older pieces of liver as you put fresh liver in.   If you adopt the approach that allegedly sometimes works with children -- eat your dinner all up or you can't have any more -- you end up with small larvae that make small pupae, from which small adults have difficulty in emerging.   Unless you run a huge continuous operation like that I knew years ago at CSIRO in Canberra for sheep blowflies, Lucilia cuprina, you are pretty much forced to do episodic breeding where the stages are more or less synchronized:  in a typical batch, the final instar larvae will turn into 'wanderers' over ~2 days, and the adults will all emerge over only 2 mornings about a week and a half later (depends on ambient temperature).

Another thing about these fly larvae is that they can climb up any surface even glass at the wanderer stage and escape if their skin is at all wet, so you need a Fort Knox arrangement with dry sawdust to keep them all in -- a bit of rain and you've had it.  You can delay a batch of these larvae in sawdust in a container with air-holes in the fridge for a week at 4-5° and most will survive to adult emergence after you warm them up again, but even 2 weeks is pushing it with much lower percentage success, and at 3 weeks you get close to zero.  So 'batching' them in the fridge to avoid having to breed so often is not very useful.

I think mealworm beetles are like cockroaches in breeding continuously and asynchronously -- I also have a colony of Periplaneta with all stages present at any one time, which makes them easier to maintain if you just supply food and water fairly regularly, though roaches can survive for very long periods without either.   With these adult flies, less than 2 days deprived of either water or of sugar will be fatal to the entire colony.
Cheers,
Steve