[NatureNS] Semipalmated Sandpiper migratory route

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 22:46:12 +0000

efficient fl
--_000_C34483BF2BDE4731AFE51BDFC54219F2dalca_

Hi Dave et al,
This is perhaps splitting hairs because the Sandpiper (28g) and Blackpoll W=
arbler (European, probably ~10-11g) are both quite small birds and therefor=
e may be nearly equivalent, but any calculation needs to be framed in terms=
 of what mass has to be kept aloft. It would take far more fuel consumption=
 per hour to keep a heavy crow (450g) in the air compared to that for a sma=
ll light warbler, if they have similarly efficient lift-generating wings (d=
oubtful).  It is usually framed in terms of body mass being proportional to=
 the cube of the average linear dimension (LD^3), while lift generation is =
proportional to the square of the LD (LD^2) =97 so you need proportionally =
more wing lift area as the body mass increases until it finally becomes inf=
easible to fly at all =97 from memory the Great Bustard was reckoned to be =
the most massive bird that could still manage to fly.
I may have used this example before: biologist J.B.S. Haldane (an atheist) =
once penned a mischievous essay on the impossibility of the existence of an=
gels, at least in their depiction in medieval manuscripts, because to power=
 wings that size (a big LD^2) would require a breastbone extending down to =
the ground to carry the enormous muscles required to flap them (humungous L=
D^3), not so illustrated in the manuscripts.
Albatrosses don=92t count much in this because an engineer C. Pennycuick (s=
p?) in the 1960s calculated that one species he looked at mostly used the u=
pdraft from wave crests to glide along on a sinuous path using lift energy =
derived from that, somewhat analogous to the larger scale thermals used by =
some migrating raptors and storks.
Understanding flight is complicated.
Steve  (Hfx)

On Jan 24, 2015, at 3:33 PM, David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com<mai=