[NatureNS] A Flicker of hope ....

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 08:02:54 -0400

species maps but I see it is not. Good to know.&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p =

------=_NextPart_000_0CFD_01D03C63.270C22C0

Dear All,
    I planted a Bayberry in our yard about 1967, by good fortune a =
female, and it cropped just about every year from about 1972 until it =
became weak about 2000 (Died about 2005; shade/roots of Crack Willow and =
Black Cherry I suspect). It became huge BTY, about 7' tall and 1" at the =
ground.
    The berries have a thick coat of wax beads so 'lipid' rich. The bush =
was readily seen from one Kitchen window and one Dining Room window. =
Crows fed on the berries every year, usually in late winter, often =
hanging upside down while they fed. But we never saw a Flicker feeding =
on them.=20

    I recommend it as a yard plant if you have open space especially now =
that it has a probable Flicker connection; no care needed.
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20