Wax use: Re: [NatureNS] A Flicker of hope ....

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 21:10:17 -0400

Hi Nancy & All,                                    Jan 30, 2015
    This is a very interesting paper but just because they studied wax use
by Yellow-Rumped Warblers and Tree Swallows by no means implies that other
birds such as Flickers or Crows can not use wax.

    It just means that if someone is going to undertake a detailed study
with a bone-crushing load of sample processing and analysis then they are
going to pick experimental subjects which they know are sure to generate
positive results as opposed to the dreaded and usually unpublishable
negative results.

    There is consequently a tendency to study the know to death and steer
clear of the not sure and especially the unknown.

    After many field observers have reported other birds, such as Crows or
Flickers, eating Bayberry many times over decades then someone may
investigate it but only after such feeding behavior becomes common
knowledge. Such is the current nature of exploration.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville