Barberry (was [NatureNS] Bayberry)

From: Dennis <dhippern@hotmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2015 17:14:47 -0400

&gt;&gt; http://ebird.org/ebird/map/norfli?neg=true&amp;env.minX=&
--_304c266a-b688-459c-a4d7-25517dcc10ef_

    I have a Barberry outside my front door which produces a good load of f=
ruit=20
each year which I keep more or less trimmed. Some years ago I saw a group
of about 15 Cedar Waxwings consume the entire crop in a matter of minutes.
This was in late February and they must have been desperate.
    Other than this occasion the berries remain all winter until they fall =
to the
 ground and rot.
Cheers=2C
Dennis Hippern
Usually of Cole Harbour
but now wintering in Florida
=20

=20
> Date: Sun=2C 1 Feb 2015 16:39:15 -0400
> From: plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: Barberry (was [NatureNS] Bayberry)
>=20
> I appreciated Anne's description of Barberry - we also have one growing i=
n with a fine row of blackberries along my parents' driveway=2C and it's a =
menace.
>=20
> I have never observed a bird eat the fruit of barberry - does anyone know=
 if any bird or other creature does?
>=20
> Patricia L. Chalmers
> Halifax
>=20
> ---- Anne Woolaver <awoolave@hotmail.com> wrote:=20
> > Hi all=2C
> =20
> >=20
> > This shrub has the most horrific thorns - so fine and innocent-looking=
=2C but feel just like needles going in! In my prime blackberry-picking ter=
ritory=2C a barberry has come up right in the middle of one of the most pro=
lific patches.  Each year=2C the barberry branches seem to extend further o=
utward=2C and the blackberries are forced to reach higher and higher to com=
e out the top and into the sun.  All I can do is look longingly at loaded c=
anes that only a knight in full armour could get to!  Makes great bird habi=
tat though - one fall after the leaves were down I found what must have bee=
n a perfectly protected nest right below the top of the bush.
> >=20
> > =20
> >=20
> > A. Woolaver=20
> > =20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > From: dwebster@glinx.com
> > To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> > Subject: Re: [NatureNS] A Flicker of hope ....
> > Date: Fri=2C 30 Jan 2015 08:02:54 -0400
> >=20
> >=20
> > Dear All=2C
> >     I planted a Bayberry in our yard about 1967=2C by good fortune a fe=
male=2C and it cropped just about every year from about 1972 until it becam=
e weak about 2000 (Died about 2005=3B shade/roots of Crack Willow and Black=
 Cherry I suspect). It became huge BTY=2C about 7' tall and 1" at the groun=
d.
> >     The berries have a thick coat of wax beads so 'lipid' rich. The bus=
h was readily seen from one Kitchen window and one Dining Room window. Crow=
s fed on the berries every year=2C usually in late winter=2C often hanging =
upside down while they fed. But we never saw a Flicker feeding on them.=20
> > =20
> >     I recommend it as a yard plant if you have open space especially no=
w that it has a probable Flicker connection=3B no care needed.
> > Yt=2C Dave Webster=2C Kentville=20
> >=20
> > ----- Original Message -----=20
t this is why flickers in winter are often found where there is bayberry bu=
t I am now not 100% sure of this.  Certainly other birds such as late yello=
w-rumped (myrtle) warblers and I think tree swallows can be found in these =
area
> >=20
> >=20
> > Well I just did a Google and indeed both red-bellied woodpeckers and fl=
ickers like bayberry. Apparently they have a very high fat content.=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > Cheers l
> > Ken
> >=20
> > Ken McKenna=20
> > Box 218 =20
> > Stellarton
> > NS B0K 1S0
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > On Jan 29=2C 2015=2C at 9:29 PM=2C katefsteele@gmail.com wrote:
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > That also explains the flicker or two that were seen several times at G=
rand Desert Beach last winter where there is hardly a tree. I hadn't put mu=
ch thought into why they were at that location!
> >=20
> >=20
> > Kate
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Bell network.
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
re are at least 4 =96 6 of them wintering there this year.
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
and here that is often near the shore like caribou I =2C Melmerby pp and bi=
g I.=20
> >=20
> > This year on Pictou hbr Cbc  the Vines had 6-7 flickers nicely decorati=
ng one tree near the entrance of Pictou hbr and in the middle a red-bellied=
 woodpecker. The odd one shows up elsewhere like Pictou town which is coast=
al in a way.  We rarely have missed getting a number of flickers on this co=
unt in the nearly 25 years of my doing this count.=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > On the Springville count which runs an inland tangent from the Pictou h=
br count we rarely get flickers- not a lot of inland bayberry.  My thoughts=
 anyway for what it is worth.=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > Cheers
> >=20
> > Ken
> >=20
> > Ken McKenna
> >=20
> > Box 218 =20
> >=20
> > Stellarton
> >=20
> > NS B0K 1S0
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > On Jan 29=2C 2015=2C at 8:16 PM=2C David & Alison Webster <dwebster@gli=
nx.com> wrote:
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > Hi Keith=2C
> >=20
> >     I have not seen one of these plots before=3B very impressive. What =
is the difference between a blue balloon and a red one ? Assuming the point=
ed en