[NatureNS] re woodpeckers drumming & use of cavities etc.

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 22:55:11 -0400
From: Ian Manning <ianmanning4@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--089e01494632c13496050ec7211b

Funny to see this on today. Last Wednesday morning, at 1030 AM
(Lawrencetown Annapolis Co.), I heard a woodpecker drumming which I thought
seemed early. I walked inside, and checked my email to see this very timely
blog post from Mary Holland, of the Naturally Curious Blog.

https://naturallycuriouswithmaryholland.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/wood-drill=
ing-adaptations/

For those of you that haven't seen the site, it's well worth a read. Clear
well-researched writing, excellent photographs and hailing from the NE
States I'd estimate 95% of the species/phenomena occur within NS borders.

Cheers.
Ian

On 10 February 2015 at 21:08, Doug Linzey <doug.linzey@gmail.com> wrote:

> Three days ago there was some drumming going on around here. And
> yesterday, I watched a Downy Woodpecker (m) disappear into last season's
> Hairy WP cavity near our back door.
>
> Doug Linzey
> Arlington, NS
>
> On 10-Feb-15 7:00 PM, Jim Wolford wrote:
>
>> Earlier I wanted to reply to David (and now Eleanor).  It seems a bit
>> early to me for drumming, but obviously I am wrong on that.  As for pair=
ing
>> up now: like the songs of other birds, the drumming has a two-way messag=
e =E2=80=94
>> for males, stay away, and for females, come hither.
>>
>> Re Dave=E2=80=99s other question, woodpeckers do use cavities for night-=
time
>> shelter (and other times, too?), as do chickadees, nuthatches, and what
>> else?  (Chickadees and nuthatches will also group up in cavities.)  Our
>> most amazing resident small forest bird, the golden-crowned kinglet, doe=
>> not use cavities, but does group up in sheltered locations like dense
>> spruce foliage/twigs to spend the long cold nights.  Bernd Heinrich in
>> Vermont and Maine has studied them and the energetics of other critters
>> from bees to ravens.
>>

>  Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> *From: *Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay135@gmail.com <mailto:
>>> kelindsay135@gmail.com>>
>>> *Subject: **Re: [NatureNS] Woodpecker drumming; Flicker*
>>> *Date: *February 10, 2015 at 1:19:24 PM AST
>>> *To: *naturens@chebucto.ns.ca <mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
>>>
>>> I have had a Flicker, a downy and a male hairy woodpecker regularly
>>> visiting my feeders many times daily for the past couple of months. The
>>> hairy has just in the past few days been joined by a female and, yester=
day
>>> for the first time, I heard drumming at a nearby telegraph pole!
>>>
>>> Eleanor Lindsay
>>> Seabright, St Margarets Bay

I had

--089e01494632c13496050ec7211b

0 AM (Lawrencetown Annapolis Co.), I heard a woodpecker drumming which I th=
ought seemed early. I walked inside, and checked my email to see this very =
timely blog post from Mary Holland, of the Naturally Curious Blog.=C2=A0<di=
ss.com/2015/02/04/wood-drilling-adaptations/">https://naturallycuriouswithm=
aryholland.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/wood-drilling-adaptations/</a><br></div=
9;s well worth a read. Clear well-researched writing, excellent photographs=
 and hailing from the NE States I&#39;d estimate 95% of the species/phenome=
br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On 10 February 2015 at 21:08, Doug Linzey <sp=
an dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:doug.linzey@gmail.com" target=3D"_blan=
l_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left=
:1ex">Three days ago there was some drumming going on around here. And yest=
erday, I watched a Downy Woodpecker (m) disappear into last season&#39;s Ha=
iry WP cavity near our back door.<br>
Doug Linzey<br>
Arlington, NS<span class=3D""><br>
On 10-Feb-15 7:00 PM, Jim Wolford wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Earlier I wanted to reply to David (and now Eleanor).=C2=A0 It seems a bit =
early to me for drumming, but obviously I am wrong on that.=C2=A0 As for pa=
iring up now: like the songs of other birds, the drumming has a two-way mes=
sage =E2=80=94 for males, stay away, and for females, come hither.<br>
Re Dave=E2=80=99s other question, woodpeckers do use cavities for night-tim=
e shelter (and other times, too?), as do chickadees, nuthatches, and what e=
lse?=C2=A0 (Chickadees and nuthatches will also group up in cavities.)=C2=
=A0 Our most amazing resident small forest bird, the golden-crowned kinglet=
, does not use cavities, but does group up in sheltered locations like dens=
e spruce foliage/twigs to spend the long cold nights.=C2=A0 Bernd Heinrich =
in Vermont and Maine has studied them and the energetics of other critters =
from bees to ravens.<br>
left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Begin forwarded message:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
*From: *Eleanor Lindsay &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:kelindsay135@gmail.com" targe=
t=3D"_blank">kelindsay135@gmail.com</a> &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:kelind=
t;<br>
*Subject: **Re: [NatureNS] Woodpecker drumming; Flicker*<br>
*Date: *February 10, 2015 at 1:19:24 PM AST<br>
*To: *<a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">naturens=
@chebucto.ns.ca</a> &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" t=
turens@chebucto.ns.ca</a> &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns=
""><br>
I have had a Flicker, a downy and a male hairy woodpecker regularly visitin=
g my feeders many times daily for the past couple of months. The hairy has =
just in the past few days been joined by a female and, yesterday for the fi=
rst time, I heard drumming at a nearby telegraph pole!<br>
Eleanor Lindsay<br>
Seabright, St Margarets Bay<br>
On 10/02/2015 10:21 AM, David &amp; Alison Webster wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Dear All,=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=
=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Feb 10, 2015<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0While outside briefly today at 8:50 am, to replenish shortenin=
g, I heard two woodpeckers; one drumming vigorously on a sounding branch an=
d a second replying all repeated twice. [All in about two minutes because I=
 had only indoor clothing on.]<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0Do woodpeckers begin to pair up this early ? Also I have notic=
ed that our Hairy WP always fly away in the same direction and wonder if th=
ey shelter overwinter in nesting cavities<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0I have seen the Flicker coming for shortening six times so far=
 this winter, as opposed to a cumulative sum of zero in previous winters; a=
lways facing away so am not sure about sex.<br>
DW, Kentville<br>

--089e01494632c13496050ec7211b--