[NatureNS] An out of season visitor..

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 08:00:29 -0400
From: Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay135@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------020201000602030607000301

Thanks to all for educating me about robins - and to Marg for the
feeding tips!

Eleanor Lindsay

On 13/02/2015 4:33 PM, Marg Millard wrote:
> Hi Eleanor, We have had one bird winter over three winters with us, the same bird. It was born late in the season and didn’t move away until it’s fourth year. I have been watching for it since Christmas. He liked really rotten juicy apples. I have a few in the freezer for him just incase. If he were to come back this would be year 7.  He had a very distinct look about him. Also tapped my bathroom window when the apples were gone. Maybe he is your bird. I’d like to think so. Chances are slim but I got pretty attached to that bird while he followed me about when I was gardening.
>
> .

  <head>
  </head>
      Marg for the feeding tips!<br>
      Eleanor Lindsay<br>
      wrote:<br>
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">Hi Eleanor, We have had one bird winter over three winters with us, the same bird. It was born late in the season and didn’t move away until it’s fourth year. I have been watching for it since Christmas. He liked really rotten juicy apples. I have a few in the freezer for him just incase. If he were to come back this would be year 7.  He had a very distinct look about him. Also tapped my bathroom window when the apples were gone. Maybe he is your bird. I’d like to think so. Chances are slim but I got pretty attached to that bird while he followed me about when I was gardening.

.

I have been most surprised to see a robin around my feeding area several times today; at no time did I see it eat, but it foraged around my feeders which are hanging on apple trees amongst presently bare multiflora branches and it drank several times at my heated birdbath. I happened to have some rather elderly cranberries and put these out by the birdbath, but so far no signs of their being eaten.

How unusual is this and what are its chances of survival?

Eleanor Lindsay
Seabright, St Margarets Bay
(I have photos in case anyone suspects I am imagining this!)

</pre>

--------------020201000602030607000301--