[NatureNS] Searching for bird rarities after Winter Storms

Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 21:23:21 -0400
From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11c2870a99a74f050f2a6e15

There's a good account of how weather systems including storms affect bird
sightings in NS in Ian's book All the Birds of NS.

Richard Stern
Sternrichard@gmail.com
Sent from my Android device
On Feb 15, 2015 6:12 PM, "Eric Mills" <E.Mills@dal.ca> wrote:

> The trajectory of the storm matters. This one, like many, came up the US
> East Coast and merged with stuff fro the west. Inshore alcids are the bes=
> bet. Dovekies spend their winters far offshore, along the edge of the Slo=
pe
> Water south of us. If the gales extended that far, I would expect some
> inshore. Could be some other alcids too, sheltering in coastal inlets. If
> you want an Ivory Gull (who doesn't? ), pray for the Gulf of St Lawrence =
> freeze up and the ice to extend far south from the Labrador front. I don'=
> think this low will help all that much.
>
> Eric
>
> Eric L. Mills
> Lower Rose Bay
> Lunenburg Co., Nova Scotia
> Canada

storms affect bird sightings in NS in Ian&#39;s book All the Birds of NS. <=
/p>
Sternrichard@gmail.com<br>
Sent from my Android device </p>
&lt;E.Mills@dal.ca&gt; wrote:<br type=
=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8=
ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">The trajectory of the storm=
 matters. This one, like many, came up the US East Coast and merged with st=
uff fro the west. Inshore alcids are the best bet. Dovekies spend their win=
ters far offshore, along the edge of the Slope Water south of us. If the ga=
les extended that far, I would expect some inshore. Could be some other alc=
ids too, sheltering in coastal inlets. If you want an Ivory Gull (who doesn=
&#39;t? ), pray for the Gulf of St Lawrence to freeze up and the ice to ext=
end far south from the Labrador front. I don&#39;t think this low will help=
 all that much.<br>
Eric<br>
Eric L. Mills<br>
Lower Rose Bay<br>