[NatureNS] Interesting discussion

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 20:57:46 -0400

Hi All,                                Feb 16, 2015
    A bit of Zen wisdom can help, so I understand, when there is a potential
conflict of opinion. It goes as follows--
    You should not be critical of anyone until you have walked a mile in
their boots. That way you will have their boots and they will not be aware
of your critical remarks.
    I am puzzled by the assumed conflict between hiking and hunting. There
are many way to hunt; sitting, analytical and hiking to name a few. I much
prefer the latter and hunted with people of like mind.
    Hunter Orange perhaps does scare birds, it sure makes it difficult to
walk up on a deer in open woods as compared to the former dull red plaid,
but I have had birds fly in and land within inches when taking a break; even
land on the end of my rifle.
    In the course of reading old National Geographic magazines one last time
before passing them on I recently came across a quote that is relevant to
this discussion (July 1964, page 1, quoting a passage from a 1914 NG article
by Alexander Graham Bell; "Don't keep forever on a public road...following
one after the other like a flock of sheep. Leave the beaten track
occasionally and dive into the woods. Every time you do so you will be
certain to see something you have never seen before."
    Also in an old copy (Jan 1964, page 92) I was interested to read that
within the Monastery of St. Catherine, founded near Mt. Sinai in the 5th
century and continuously occupied since, there has been a Mosque since the
Middle Ages. Although we currently take pride in being open-minded and
tolerant we would be hard pressed to beat that.
    I have long considered this to be the age of foolishness but have
gradually realized that is is also becoming the age of intolerance.
YT, DW, Kentville

    .