[NatureNS] Do virgin mosquitos bite?

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 13:37:00 -0400
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a113b557a50aa0d050fc4db18

Hmm, no one's answered, so it could be that it's just not known.

The conventional thought for horse and deer flies was that since only
females bit (which is true for mosquitoes, too), the blood meal was needed
for producing eggs. I used to work with that group of flies. Through the
course of reading the literature at the time, I found out that females of
many species, could lay a batch of eggs without a blood meal, but the
second batch needed the extra nourishment.

This doesn't mean that a female won't try to get a blood meal prior to her
first batch of eggs.

I have successfully not answered your question, but perhaps added some food
for thought. Which maybe be bloody confusing.

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 22 February 2015 at 09:06, <pce@accesswave.ca> wrote:

> I found a mosquito in our house a few days ago, and that reminded me of
> the situation in the summer when a whining mosquito keeps you awake at
> night.
>
> The following question came to mind: She was very unlikely to attract a
> mate at this time of year. If she remained un-mated, would she be
> interested in a blood meal, or does that only happen after the females have
> mated? Would she have kept us awake at night if no male came along?
>
> Peter Payzant
> Waverley

--001a113b557a50aa0d050fc4db18

er flies was that since only females bit (which is true for mosquitoes, too=
), the blood meal was needed for producing eggs.=C2=A0I used to work with t=
hat group of flies.=C2=A0Through the course of reading the literature at th=
e time, I found out that females of many species, could lay a batch of eggs=
 without a blood meal, but the second batch needed the extra nourishment.</=
iv>I have successfully not answered your question, but perhaps added some f=
ss=3D"gmail_signature">_________________________________<br>RF Lauff<br>Way=
ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:pce@accesswave.ca" target=3D"_blank">pce@accessw=
margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">I found a mo=
squito in our house a few days ago, and that reminded me of the situation i=
n the summer when a whining mosquito keeps you awake at night.<br>
The following question came to mind: She was very unlikely to attract a mat=
e at this time of year. If she remained un-mated, would she be interested i=
n a blood meal, or does that only happen after the females have mated? Woul=
d she have kept us awake at night if no male came along?<span class=3D"HOEn=
Zb"><font color=3D"#888888"><br>
Peter Payzant<br>
Waverley<br>

--001a113b557a50aa0d050fc4db18--