[NatureNS] Various - Bald Eagle Nest, Wood Ducks and other.

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 03:31:25 +0000

--_db5b3845-381f-46ec-ad16-e4a20d15354d_

I had checked out the location of the bald eagle nest in Dayspring=2C just =
down from Nova Scotia Power=2C a number of times during the month of Februa=
ry.  On all occasions I did not see any activity.  John Robart emailed me t=
he other day and said that the eagles had built a new nest.  I checked it o=
ut today and sure enough a new nest was present with the pair on it.  One o=
f the pair left while I was observing.  This new nest is facing down river =
and is on the opposite side of the road from where the nest of the past two=
 years was.=20
=20
I forgot to post that a male and female wood duck was spotted at First Sout=
h by Steven Shewchuk after the heavy rains that we got a few weeks ago.  I =
would assume returning migrants.  I'm not sure where this pair would have g=
one=2C but there is no open water at all in that area now.  Everything is f=
rozen solid. =20
=20
A really depressing day for birds in this area.  Dead everywhere and at all=
 of the very active feeder areas in Lunenburg hardly any life.  I've notice=
d a lack of activity for about two weeks now.  I'm assuming that a lot of t=
he birds have either met with adverse fates because of the plummeting tempe=
ratures that have been consistent or is it possible that a lot of birds hav=
e started migration?  It is not only me noticing a lack of birds=2C but I'v=
e received many=2C many emails asking about what happened to the birds and =
why has there not been any at feeders this year that have had loads of bird=
s during previous winters. =20
=20
I've not researched the topic yet=2C but was asked a very interesting quest=
ion that I had not thought about before.  The question is why do American r=
obins not come to bird feeders for seeds?  I will look forward to your comm=
ents.  I suspect that it has to do with diet=2C feeding habits of the speci=
es and probably with the shape of the bill not being meant to open seeds up=
.  I know they eat berries=2C but why not actual shelled seeds or cracked c=
orn?=20
=20
James R. Hirtle
LaHave=20
  =20
 		 	   		  =

--_db5b3845-381f-46ec-ad16-e4a20d15354d_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
6">I had checked out the location of the bald eagle nest in Dayspring=2C ju=
st down from Nova Scotia Power=2C a number of times during the month of Feb=
ruary.&nbsp=3B On all occasions I did not see any activity.&nbsp=3B John Ro=
bart emailed me the other day and said that the eagles had built a new nest=
.&nbsp=3B I checked it out today and sure enough a new nest was present wit=
h the pair on it.&nbsp=3B One of the pair left while I was observing.&nbsp=
=3B This new nest is facing down river and is on the opposite side of the r=
oad from where the&nbsp=3Bnest of the past two years was.&nbsp=3B</font><BR=
00" size=3D"6">I forgot to post that a male and female wood duck was spotte=
d at First South by Steven Shewchuk after the heavy rains that we got a few=
 weeks ago.&nbsp=3B I would assume returning migrants.&nbsp=3B I'm not sure=
 where this pair would have gone=2C but there is no open water at all in th=
at area now.&nbsp=3B Everything is frozen solid.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B</font><BR>=
y for birds in this area.&nbsp=3B Dead everywhere and at all of the very ac=
tive feeder areas in Lunenburg hardly any life.&nbsp=3B I've noticed a lack=
 of activity for about two weeks now.&nbsp=3B I'm assuming that a lot of th=
e birds have either met with&nbsp=3Badverse fates&nbsp=3Bbecause of the plu=
mmeting temperatures that have been consistent or is it possible that a lot=
 of birds have started migration?&nbsp=3B It is not only me noticing a lack=
 of birds=2C but I've received many=2C many emails asking about what happen=
ed to the birds and why has there not been any at feeders this year that ha=
ve had loads of birds during previous winters.&nbsp=3B </font><BR><font siz=
e=3D"6"></font>&nbsp=3B<BR><font size=3D"6">I've not researched the topic y=
et=2C but was asked a very interesting question that I had not thought abou=
t before.&nbsp=3B The question is why do American robins not come to bird f=
eeders for seeds?&nbsp=3B I will look forward to your comments.&nbsp=3B I s=
uspect that it has to do with diet=2C feeding habits of the species and pro=
bably with the shape of the bill not being meant to open seeds up.&nbsp=3B =
I know they eat berries=2C but why not actual shelled seeds or cracked corn=
?&nbsp=3B</font><BR><font size=3D"6"></font>&nbsp=3B<BR><font size=3D"6">Ja=
mes R. Hirtle</font><BR><font size=3D"6">LaHave</font>&nbsp=3B<BR><font col=
or=3D"#000000" size=3D"6">&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B<br id=3D"FontBreak"></font>&nbsp=
=3B<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_db5b3845-381f-46ec-ad16-e4a20d15354d_--