[NatureNS] Sid Smith

Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 12:00:19 -0400
From: BSC NS Plovers <nsplovers@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a1135eceaa2fb6605105050dc

Eric, Thank you for sharing this very sad news.

Sid and his wife Betty June have long been wonderful advocates for Piping
Plover and other shorebirds and contributed an enormous amount to science
and conservation in southwest NS, such as the designation of eastern Cape
Sable Island as a globally significant Important Bird Area.

I had trouble accessing the link to the online guestbook, but hopefully
this link will work for others to share condolences:
http://www.huskilson.net/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=3D2990520&fh_id=3D=
11285

Sue Abbott

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Eric Mills <E.Mills@dal.ca> wrote:

>  This is sad  news for everone in the birding community. Sid and Betty
> June were named Honorary Life Members of the Nova Scotia Bird Society onl=
> a few years ago during the Society's out of town meeting in Yarmouth.
>

>  *Smith, Sidney Franklin*, 83 , Barrington, passed away peacefully at
> home on March 1st 2015. Sid was born April 4th 1931 at the home of his
> grandparents, Enos and Mertilla (Newell) Smith, West Head, Cape Sable
> Island. His parents were Benjamin Franklin and Lottie Doris (Steadman)
> Smith. Sid's childhood and early teens were spent at the Cape
>
> Sable Light Station where his father was head keeper. In 1945 the family
> moved to Barrington Head where Sid finished school and began his
> mechanics-based working life at Pinkham's Garage. That training and furth=
er
> experience in mechanics in Ontario was put to good use when father and so=
> returned to Cape Sable in 1952 as head and assistant keepers. At that tim=
> Sid met and married Elizabeth June Richardson (Betty June). Her home was
> another island light station, Bon Portage. In spite of illness and loss i=
> their first years there, they loved their time together at the island, an=
> a precious family was completed by their children, Locke Isles and Beverl=
ey
> June. By 1979, destaffing of light and fog alarm stations led Sid to
> transfer to CCGS Clarks Harbour for a new career which he greatly enjoyed=
.
> From childhood Sid had Christian examples in his parents and later became=
> committed Christian. Sid finished as he began, loving and well beloved. S=
id
> was pre-deceased by an infant son, Charles Clyde, parents Ben and Lottie
> Smith; younger sister, Dellas Lowanna Nickerson and her husband Gary.
> Survived by wife, Elizabeth; children, Locke (Nona) and Beverley (Albert)=
;
> grandchildren, Brandon, Jessica, Emily and Velicity ; older brother Geral=
> Smith (Anna); several nieces and nephews. Funeral services for Sid will b=
> Wednesday, March 4th at 2 pm from Huskilson=E2=80=99s Funeral Home in Bar=
rington;
> visitation on Tuesday March 3rd 3-5 and 7-9. Family flowers only. Memoria=
> donations may be made to Christian Missions, VON, cancer research, or the
> charity of your choice. Online condolences may be sent to:
> huskilson@ns.aliantzinc.ca
> <https://outlook.office365.com/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/huskilson@n=
s.aliantzinc.ca>
> or you may sign the guest book at *MailScanner has detected a possible
> fraud attempt from "outlook.office365.com" claiming to be*
> [...]

--=20
Bird Studies Canada
NS Piping Plover Conservation Program
www.birdscanada.org/volunteer/nsplover/

--001a1135eceaa2fb6605105050dc

br>Sid and his wife Betty June have long been wonderful advocates for Pipin=
g Plover and other shorebirds and contributed an enormous amount to science=
 and conservation in southwest NS, such as the designation of eastern Cape =
Sable Island as a globally significant Important Bird Area. <br><br>I had t=
rouble accessing the link to the online guestbook, but hopefully this link =
will work for others to share condolences:<br><a href=3D"http://www.huskils=
on.net/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=3D2990520&amp;fh_id=3D11285">http://=
www.huskilson.net/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=3D2990520&amp;fh_id=3D112=
 class=3D"gmail_quote">On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Eric Mills <span di=
r=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:E.Mills@dal.ca" target=3D"_blank">E.Mills@d=
argin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

mily:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">
ty June were named Honorary Life Members of the Nova Scotia Bird Society on=
ly a few years ago during the Society&#39;s out of town meeting in Yarmouth=
.<br>
acefully at home on March 1st 2015. Sid was born April 4th 1931 at the home=
 of his grandparents, Enos and Mertilla (Newell) Smith, West Head, Cape Sab=
le Island. His parents were Benjamin
 Franklin and Lottie Doris (Steadman) Smith. Sid&#39;s childhood and early =
teens were spent at the Cape
 moved to Barrington Head where Sid finished school and began his mechanics=
-based working life at Pinkham&#39;s Garage. That training and further expe=
rience in mechanics in Ontario was put
 to good use when father and son returned to Cape Sable in 1952 as head and=
 assistant keepers. At that time Sid met and married Elizabeth June Richard=
son (Betty June). Her home was another island light station, Bon Portage. I=
n spite of illness and loss in their
 first years there, they loved their time together at the island, and a pre=
cious family was completed by their children, Locke Isles and Beverley June=
. By 1979, destaffing of light and fog alarm stations led Sid to transfer t=
o CCGS Clarks Harbour for a new
 career which he greatly enjoyed. From childhood Sid had Christian examples=
 in his parents and later became a committed Christian. Sid finished as he =
began, loving and well beloved. Sid was pre-deceased by an infant son, Char=
les Clyde, parents Ben and Lottie
 Smith; younger sister, Dellas Lowanna Nickerson and her husband Gary. Surv=
ived by wife, Elizabeth; children, Locke (Nona) and Beverley (Albert); gran=
dchildren, Brandon, Jessica, Emily and Velicity ; older brother Gerald Smit=
h (Anna); several nieces and nephews.
 Funeral services for Sid will be Wednesday, March 4th at 2 pm from Huskils=
on=E2=80=99s Funeral Home in Barrington; visitation on Tuesday March 3rd 3-=
5 and 7-9. Family flowers only. Memorial donations may be made to Christian=
 Missions, VON, cancer research, or the
 charity of your choice. Online condolences may be sent to: <a href=3D"http=
s://outlook.office365.com/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/huskilson@ns.alian=
tzinc.ca" target=3D"_blank">
huskilson@ns.aliantzinc.ca</a> or you may sign the guest book at <a href=3D=
"https://outlook.office365.com/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/www.huskilson=
.net" target=3D"_blank"><font color=3D"red"><b>MailScanner has detected a p=
ossible fraud attempt from &quot;outlook.office365.com&quot; claiming to be=
</b></font>=20
www.huskilson.net</a>.</p>

nature"><span style=3D"font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">Bird Studies=
 Canada</span><br style=3D"font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif"><span st=
yle=3D"font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">NS Piping Plover Conservatio=
n Program</span><br style=3D"font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif"><a sty=
le=3D"font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif" href=3D"http://www.birdscanad=
a.org/volunteer/nsplover/" target=3D"_blank">www.birdscanada.org/volunteer/=

--001a1135eceaa2fb6605105050dc--