[NatureNS] hypopag-something: what is it?

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 12:34:53 -0400
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a113ad6b4e3a025051064ebcf

Hmmm...all I'll say is, it's great to have a Greek speaking friend! We too
could not find the right word to describe the habitat, so we did make up
the word hypopagea.

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 3 March 2015 at 12:22, Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Hi Steve.
> I am pretty sure it is a new word made up by Randy.  I guess those at the
> presentation will learn why he coined the term or he might might elaborate
> before that to this forum? I double checked on the spelling before I sent
> out the message.
>  Guess it is a neologism -have to admit I had to google that one as well.
>
> Cheers
> Ken
>
> Ken McKenna
> Box 218
> Stellarton
> NS B0K 1S0
>

> > On Mar 3, 2015, at 12:01 PM, Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca> wrote:
> >
> > A recent announcement of an upcoming talk in New Glasgow involving Randy
> was to concern insects on and under the snow.
> > It mentioned the unfamiliar-to-me word 'hypopagea' (or maybe it was
> 'hypopagaea' -- I've deleted the post), so I made a note to look it up.
> >
> > Nothing on Wikipedia under either spelling, and more surprisingly
> nothing useful on Google, where I usually get at least million hits for
> anything.
> > (There's a thesis in Spanish on _Arachis hypopagaea_, not sure what that
> is)
> >
> > Have I got the spelling wrong, or is this a neologism?  Please explain,
> someone.
> > Steve

--001a113ad6b4e3a025051064ebcf

 speaking friend! We too could not find the right word to describe the habi=
ignature">_________________________________<br>RF Lauff<br>Way in the booni=
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:kenmcken@eastlink.ca" target=3D"_blank">k=
te" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"=
>Hi Steve.<br>
I am pretty sure it is a new word made up by Randy.=C2=A0 I guess those at =
the presentation will learn why he coined the term or he might might elabor=
ate before that to this forum? I double checked on the spelling before I se=
nt out the message.<br>
=C2=A0Guess it is a neologism -have to admit I had to google that one as we=
ll.<br>
Cheers<br>
Ken<br>
Ken McKenna<br>
Box 218<br>
Stellarton<br>
NS B0K 1S0<br>
&gt; On Mar 3, 2015, at 12:01 PM, Stephen Shaw &lt;srshaw@Dal.Ca&gt; wrote:=
&gt;<br>
&gt; A recent announcement of an upcoming talk in New Glasgow involving Ran=
dy was to concern insects on and under the snow.<br>
&gt; It mentioned the unfamiliar-to-me word &#39;hypopagea&#39; (or maybe i=
t was &#39;hypopagaea&#39; -- I&#39;ve deleted the post), so I made a note =
to look it up.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Nothing on Wikipedia under either spelling, and more surprisingly noth=
ing useful on Google, where I usually get at least million hits for anythin=
g.<br>
&gt; (There&#39;s a thesis in Spanish on _Arachis hypopagaea_, not sure wha=
t that is)<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Have I got the spelling wrong, or is this a neologism?=C2=A0 Please ex=
plain, someone.<br>
&gt; Steve<br>

--001a113ad6b4e3a025051064ebcf--