[NatureNS] BBC Article - Weasel photographed riding on a

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 11:31:53 -0400

ition, if you were that woodpecker, wouldn&amp;#39;t you be scared guano
Hi Steve & All,
    I think there is no reason to suppose it not to be genuine.

    The angle of shadow cast by the wing, more like 35o from the image
horizontal when measured, means almost nothing because this angle would be
dependent upon the angle of the camera relative to true horizontal. One
would expect a loaded bird to fly with maximum angle of attack so as to
avoid an unscheduled pancake landing.

    The foreleg, being small, against the bird, perhaps somewhat buried in
short feathers, with an edge of sparse fur to cast the shadow, the shadow
trace possibly dimmed by light reflected from the neck and just barely at a
greater angle from the image horizontal than the wing shadow would be
expected to cast faint or no detectable shadow. Even the shadow distal to
the foot is very faint.

    This is in addition to the complaint registered by the passenger which
adds authenticity. Why would a non-existent passenger complain about being
treated unfairily ?.

    Time will tell.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville