[NatureNS] Chickadeesvs Sharp shinned Hawk

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 17:17:25 -0400

I was just privileged to watch the most amazing bit of nature, live, in my
own grapevine. Over the years there have been many interesting things appear
and take place outside my kitchen window. Todays incident has ranked with
the very best.
I was filling the kettle, just looked out to see who was feeding when I
noticed a solitary chickadee frozen holding to an upright bit of vine. Very
still. I looked about as we have been visited from time to time a small
Sharpie who works very industriously but so far (thankfully or not I cannot
decide; it has to eat too) ) hasn't caught anything. I didn't see anything
but thought I would go pick up the camera, remembering the lovely photos I
got last Sat.. Just as I came back to the window, the hawk blew into the
vine. It knew there was something there for sure but just didn't pick the
chickadee out. There was a lot of twitching and peering maybe 10 minutes
worth. Suddenly in flew another chickadee and it began to taunt the hawk and
chattering and peeping it seemed to encourage the other to do the same. They
moved through a real tangle and
and right up behind the hawk, then in front, dropping back into the heavy
tangle. Hawk was really taking notice of all this and began trying to grab
one or the other. Chickadee #2 flew straight out out of sight with the hawk
after it. No. 1 Chickadee was back to being frozen.  I went to the window on
the other side of the house and could see nothing so returned to the kitchen
and there were two bird frozen and the hawk booting it across the front yard
after? nothing I could see.
Fascinating.
Marg
Marg Millard