[NatureNS] BBC Article - Weasel photographed riding on a woodpecker's back

From: Larry Scacchetti <larrybird4134@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 00:10:43 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

 the photo.   I=92m not sure, but am surprised that the

--Apple-Mail-2F2BACF0-54E9-455F-B847-B246DCD333D9

I can't tell if this is a joke post or not.=20

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 7, 2015, at 11:47 PM, Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca> wrote:
>=20
> Hi Dave and others,
> At risk of flogging a dead horse, I=E2=80=99ll take up cudgels with Dave=E2=
=80=99s call that "35=C2=B0 from image horizontal when measured [see below].=
.. means almost nothing".  In the BBC interview, this UK guy has a big rig c=
amera and appears to be an experienced photographer.  Anyone like this who h=
as to take a snap decision for a quick bird photo is going to try to hold th=
e rig horizontal, and my guess is that anyone competent could hold it level t=
o within =C2=B12=C2=B0 of horizontal, even me.  Photographers may wish to co=
mment.
>=20
> How about 'when measured=E2=80=99?  I imported a JPEG copy of the woodpeck=
er-weasel image into the very useful image analysis program ImageJ*, and wit=
h the angle-measurer tool measured the shadow angle from the vertical at 47.=
17=C2=B0 (=C2=B1 1.5% coefficient of variation, n=3D7); my eyeball guess had=
 been 50=C2=B0, and the very low CV% means that the wing shadow, clear and a=
lmost linear, made it possible to make very reliable repeat measurements.  T=
he sun=E2=80=99s implied elevation then is (90 minus this), or 42.83=C2=B0, n=
ot 35=C2=B0.  =20
> I thought it would take at least a degree in Astronomy (not me) and a load=
 of work to estimate where the sun actually was on the day in question in th=
at part of UK, but this turns out to be relatively easy.=20
>=20
> For the calculation you first need the coordinates of the site from one of=
 the several latitude-longitude calculators available on the web, for instan=
ce:=20
> www.latlong.net/ =20
> The result is latitude 51.562254, longitude 0.218605, for Hornchurch, E. L=
ondon, UK.
>=20
> Several sun height calculators are also available, for instance:=20
> keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1224682277  =20
> Besides the latitude and longitude, the date needs to be specified, which i=
s the Monday the day before the BBC post, therefore 1 March 2015; zero refer=
ence, 0 GMT; then the time (not yet daylight saving time) which is only give=
n in the BBC post as 'afternoon=E2=80=99.   My guess for this would be ~3PM,=
 but maybe it could have been as early as 2PM.
>=20
> The results returned by the calculator for sun elevation (altitude measure=
d from earth horizontal) using these 1 March 2015 values for Hornchurch are
> 2PM:  26.47=C2=B0
> 3PM:  20.78=C2=B0
> 4PM:  13.47=C2=B0
> The maximum height of the sun on that day occurs near 12:30PM, but is stil=
l only 30.74=C2=B0
>=20
> Conclusion:  The measured estimate of the sun=E2=80=99s elevation from the=
 JPEG (42.83=C2=B0), is therefore too high by 16.4=C2=B0 at 2PM, and 22.4=C2=
=B0 at 3PM, to have been taken on 1 March 2015.  I don=E2=80=99t believe tha=
t an experienced photographer would be holding his camera at anywhere near e=
ither of these angles to make the situation right.  And if that were true, t=
he loaded woodpecker would actually be heading upwards by 22=C2=B0 (3PM), pr=
obably close to stall angle.  In fact according to the report, the woodpecke=
r was heading towards a crash landing, therefore downwards.
>=20
> Another way to look at it using the Keisan calculator is to ask on what fi=
rst date/time the sun elevation would equal close to the value measured from=
 the image, 42.83=C2=B0. The answer is several weeks later than 1 March, on 2=
3 May 2015 (if 3PM) and on 19 April (if photo was taken at 2PM).
>=20
> This seems like pretty good evidence that this photo could not have been s=
hot on or even close to 1 March 2015.   If the =E2=80=98Monday=E2=80=99 in q=
uestion were even earlier in the year, the sun would be lower and the angle f=
it would be even worse.   Among other salient points, Randy=E2=80=99s is par=
ticularly persuasive, about the relative weight of the weasel with solid bon=
es versus the woodpecker=E2=80=99s hollow bones implying that the bird could=
 not fly carrying such a large load.=20
>=20
> The only powerful point of view that needs to be considered is that of the=
 weasel itself, as relayed in Dave=E2=80=99s original post, which in case yo=
u missed it was:
>=20
> >> But as, is often the case, the passenger felt he was taken.
> http://newsthump.com/2015/03/03/weasel-shocked-by-hidden-charges-after-che=
ap-woodpecker-flight/
> DW<<
>=20
> Steve (Hfx)
>=20
> *Google to ImageJ, select the site and download the version for your opera=
ting system.  It is a very useful, powerful but easy to use program, develop=
ed and maintained to the present with US govt funds and so is available for f=
ree.   Highly recommended.
>=20
>=20
>> On Mar 4, 2015, at 11:31 AM, David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com> w=
rote:
>> Hi Steve & All,
>>   I think there is no reason to suppose it not to be genuine.
>>=20
>>   The angle of shadow cast by the wing, more like 35o from the image hori=
zontal when measured, means almost nothing because this angle would be depen=
dent upon the angle of the camera relative to true horizontal. One would exp=
ect a loaded bird to fly with maximum angle of attack so as to avoid an unsc=
heduled pancake landing.
>>=20
>>   The foreleg, being small, against the bird, perhaps somewhat buried in s=
hort feathers, with an edge of sparse fur to cast the shadow, the shadow tra=
ce possibly dimmed by light reflected from the neck and just barely at a gre=
ater angle from the image horizontal than the wing shadow would be expected t=
o cast faint or no detectable shadow. Even the shadow distal to the foot is v=
ery faint.
>>=20
>>   This is in addition to the complaint registered by the passenger which a=
dds authenticity. Why would a non-existent passenger c