[NatureNS] Saw-Whet

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 11:09:01 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a1147b0dc5ca79e0511ccfb98

Deep snow is tough on the small - medium owls, but lovely for the rodents.
Pretty much only weasels can get at the rodents (and shrews) in the
subnivean (under the snow, but on the ground) microhabitat.

I predict, and I really shouldn't since I've had so many bad owl
predictions, that Saw-whet nests will be fewer this year, but those that
are there, will do well (because of greater small mammal survivorship). I
normally start checking my nest boxes (for owls) around now. I'll need
snowshoes, but not my regular (4 m) ladder - maybe just a step stool.

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 21 March 2015 at 08:33, rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca <
rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>   You are not susposed to start before April 1 Nancy
>  Enjoy the spring until then
> Paul
>
> > On March 21, 2015 at 6:14 AM nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On the topic of owls, has anyone done their owl routes this year to
> listen for breeding/territorial owls? Results? I have not heard the usual
> owls (Great-Horned, Barred) so far this season on the outskirts of
> Bridgewater.
> >
> > Nancy
> > On 2015-03-20, at 10:36 PM, Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Billy and all
> > > I had a call this morning from Adam MacInnis of the local NewGlasgow
> News. A friend of his had found a dead small owl at Acadia St. In
> Stellarton earlier in the morning. He sent me a photo of the owl and I
> confirmed it as a Saw-whet. This is only a couple of km away from one
> photographed live by Emily Munro on the night of mar 3 in a shrub near the
> A&W in nearby Lourdes. Could very well have been the same bird.
> > >
> > > One could speculate it died of hunger given weather conditions but
> just speculation. The hamburger connection is there Bill! Undoubtedly this
> is a tough winter on all
> > > wild animals.
> > > Cheers
> > > Ken
> > >
> > > Ken McKenna
> > > Box 218
> > > Stellarton
> > > NS B0K 1S0

> railing today. She said it was very tame (maybe weak) and only flew when
> she petted it. I told her it was probably looking for mice around her bird
> feeder. She wanted to know if she should leave out some hamburger in case
> it returns. I told her it couldn't hurt to try. Any comments?

--001a1147b0dc5ca79e0511ccfb98

for the rodents. Pretty much only weasels can get at the rodents (and shrew=
s) in the subnivean (under the snow, but on the ground) microhabitat.<div><=
br></div><div>I predict, and I really shouldn&#39;t since I&#39;ve had so m=
any bad owl predictions, that Saw-whet nests will be fewer this year, but t=
hose that are there, will do well (because of greater small mammal survivor=
ship). I normally start checking my nest boxes (for owls) around now. I&#39=
;ll need snowshoes, but not my regular (4 m) ladder - maybe just a step sto=
ature">_________________________________<br>RF Lauff<br>Way in the boonies =
:rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca">rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca</a> <span dir=3D"ltr"=
>&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca" target=3D"_blank">rita.pa=
e" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">=
<u></u>
   =20
=20
=20
   You are not susposed to start before April 1 Nancy
   Enjoy the spring until then
r to listen for breeding/territorial owls? Results? I have not heard the us=
ual owls (Great-Horned, Barred) so far this season on the outskirts of Brid=
gewater.=20
NewGlasgow News. A friend of his had found a dead small owl at Acadia St. I=
n Stellarton earlier in the morning. He sent me a photo of the owl and I co=
nfirmed it as a Saw-whet. This is only a couple of km away from one photogr=
aphed live by Emily Munro on the night of mar 3 in a shrub near the A&amp;W=
 in nearby Lourdes. Could very well have been the same bird.=20
ailto:bdigout@seaside.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">bdigout@seaside.ns.ca</a>&gt=