[NatureNS] Redwing Blackbird

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 04:34:51 -0300

  get excited about signs of spring when there is meters of sn
We've had Red-winged Black birds at intervals through out the winter. One at
a time and usually travelling with Starlings. Perhaps the same bird.
Thursday I had one arrive from away? on it's own, coming straight from the
ocean (I was watching something else and it came into view and just came
straight a course to the tree usually a point of holding forth). It went to
an old feeding station (discontinued to try to prevent window strikes)  and
stayed, sang some, chattered a fair bit and disappeared. He was flashing his
orange and really holding forth. I did not see it come to the feeder.  I did
not see a female and there weren't starlings with it. It seemed to be a
single bird.

What I am seeing daily are small hawks. Usually several times a day. $: 30
pm seems to be a time I can count on seeing them. I found that interesting.
At least two different and possibly a Coopers but I haven't been able to get
a clear photo of that one. Highly unusual. I am not seeing a lot of feather
and bodily debris (yet?) but goodness the activity is amazing. Everyone has
to eat but the little birds have whole regimes to confound the hunters.

I have not seen a Grackle for some time. That is very unusual.  I did see
brown headed cowbirds the other day. Males and 5 I could see in lower maple
branches but strangely, they didn't come to the feeders as I would have
expected.

We had a Raven trying to settle into the top of the big pine near the barn
but crows came from everywhere and drove it out.

I saw two pileated Woodpeckers Friday; one crossing the 103 coming up the
long hill after you cross the Lehave River and the second in the Danesville
area  again flying over the highway. Both headed inland.

I'll be watching to see if the Kingfishers show up at Five Rivers again this
year. They have been coming there this time of the year for the past ...this
would be year four. Where the road crosses into the Estates, at the bridge.
I am house/cat sitting  and have to cross the bridge several times a day.

Best regards, Marg Millard, White Point in Queens

I had been assuming they were new arrivals but now I’m not so sure. Angie
Millard did have one nearby on Feb 23 and so far eBird data does not
indicate any migrants at all. NS had 5 locations where Red-winged Blackbirds
(I just found out I’ve been pronouncing there name wrong) were eBirded in
January, we had 16 locations in February but so far this month we have
dropped back to 5 locations.