[NatureNS] Turkey Vulture/ Goshawk?

Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 19:17:22 -0300
From: Hans <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

cm 0cm'&gt;&lt;p class=3DMsoNormal align=3

--Boundary_(ID_Rj8zwifu/naSc609NFx7bw)

John and Nhung,

Check page 104-105 of The Sibley's Guide to Birds for a comparison of
overhead silhouettes.  The fingers on the outer edge of the vulture's
wing are far larger and longer than the goshawk's. This should be
clearly visible when the bird is back lit and colourless. The wings of a
vulture are also broader, designed for soaring, unlike a accipiter's
wings which are designed for rapid motion and speed.

Generally, a vulture's wings in flight have a very deep dihedrall(as you
observed) and it always appears unstable in flight, tipsy as it were,
like its ready to fall out of the sky.

I agree that a Northern Goshawk is a thrill but never approach its nest
for you might lose a piece of your scalp as I almost did once.

Hans

--
Hans Toom
http://www.hanstoom.com

--Boundary_(ID_Rj8zwifu/naSc609NFx7bw)

  <head>
  </head>
    John and Nhung,<br>
    Check page 104-105 of The Sibley's Guide to Birds for a comparison
    of overhead silhouettes.  The fingers on the outer edge of the
    vulture's wing are far larger and longer than the goshawk's. This
    should be clearly visible when the bird is back lit and colourless.
    The wings of a vulture are also broader, designed for soaring,
    unlike a accipiter's wings which are designed for rapid motion and
    speed.<br>
    Generally, a vulture's wings in flight have a very deep dihedrall(as
    you observed) and it always appears unstable in flight, tipsy as it
    were, like its ready to fall out of the sky.<br>
    I agree that a Northern Goshawk is a thrill but never approach its
    nest for you might lose a piece of your scalp as I almost did once.<br>
    Hans<br>
      wrote:<br>
      type="cite">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Consolas;
	panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
	color:black;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
pre
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Courier New";
	color:black;}
span.HTMLPreformattedChar
	{mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
	font-family:"Consolas","serif";
	color:black;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">Hans,
            you’ve reminded me of a sighting of a large raptor cruising
            over south end Yarmouth about 11 A.M. on Friday morning.  I
            was beside Temple Baptist church and looking west, when a
            large guy soaring dihedrally passed apparently over the old
            Anglican cemetery, maybe about 1000 feet to the southeast.
            My initial thought was “turkey vulture,” this being
            Yarmouth.  Then I noticed the tail was too long and the
            flying included some flap-flap glide, particularly as it
            turned to the north of me and flew east. <o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:11.0pt;