[NatureNS] Woodcock on Quinpool Road, Halifax

Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2015 23:30:48 -0300
From: <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: Gail Bruhm <gcbruhm@ns.sympatico.ca>

Following up on Gail Bruhm's two previous reports, when I drove down Quinpool Road this evening (Easter  Sunday) about 6:30 p.m., I kept my eyes open.

There were lots of Robins on bare patches under the trees in the lower half of Flynn Park, the  treed area across from the NorthWest Arm at the foot of Quinpool Road.  But I also glimpsed another bird which I thought was a Woodcock.  So I drove through the Rotary, and made a detour so as to came down Quinpool Road again, more slowly.

Traffic was so light I was able to stop for a minute for a long admiring look at a  Woodcock doing its gentle rocking-back-and-forth dance in a sunny patch of bare grass.  We had had a snow squall less than an hour before, but the late afternoon sun had emerged and there was a warm glow which caught the golden brown colours in the bird's plumage.  Just lovely.

Cheers,

Patricia L. Chalmers
Halifax

on Friday, April 3, 2015 7:20:53 PM ADT
---- Gail Bruhm <gcbruhm@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> About 6:30 pm today saw 2 woodcocks on Quinpool Road, Halifax about ½ way between the crosswalk with the flashing lights and the entrance to Horseshoe island on a good size piece of ‘grass’

on Thursday, April 2, 2015 4:10:41 PM ADT
---- Gail Bruhm <gcbruhm@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
There were 2 woodcocks sighted last evening in the wooded area across from
Horseshoe Island on Quinpool