[NatureNS] Snowy Spring - Migrant Bird Mortality.

From: Blake Maybank <bmaybank@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 09:18:21 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--089e0160b9da50da33051335893a

I found a moribund American Robin on a bare patch of gravel driveway and
took it inside to offer warmth and food, but it did not survive the night.
I doubt this bird death is an isolated event this spring.  Birds require an
energy re-boost when they arrive after long migration flights, and when
their preferred feeding areas are covered by ice and snow, things can
quickly become dire.

Seed-eating birds can profit from feeders, but things are more difficult
for robins and woodcocks, the two species that have been making headlines
lately.  There have been lots of woodcock reports among the birding
community, but when I canvasses members of my choir last night almost 20%
had noted either woodcocks or large flocks of robins.

I put fruit out today for robins. I hope they find it.

Robins are prolific breeders, and I expect the local population will
rebound from this spring's mortality, but I suspect it will be more
difficult for the woodcocks.

Has anyone else noted mortality?  I assume for every dead bird we find that
many, many more die without being noted.

Blake

--
Blake Maybank <bmaybank@gmail.com>
White's Lake, Nova Scotia

 <maybank@ns.sympatico.ca>

--089e0160b9da50da33051335893a

fault" style=3D"font-family:tahoma,sans-serif;font-size:large">I found a mo=
ribund American Robin on a bare patch of gravel driveway and took it inside=
 to offer warmth and food, but it did not survive the night.=C2=A0 I doubt =
this bird death is an isolated event this spring.=C2=A0 Birds require an en=
ergy re-boost when they arrive after long migration flights, and when their=
 preferred feeding areas are covered by ice and snow, things can quickly be=
amily:tahoma,sans-serif;font-size:large">Seed-eating birds can profit from =
feeders, but things are more difficult for robins and woodcocks, the two sp=
ecies that have been making headlines lately.=C2=A0 There have been lots of=
 woodcock reports among the birding community, but when I canvasses members=
 of my choir last night almost 20% had noted either woodcocks or large floc=
y:tahoma,sans-serif;font-size:large">I put fruit out today for robins. I ho=
mily:tahoma,sans-serif;font-size:large">Robins are prolific breeders, and I=
 expect the local population will rebound from this spring&#39;s mortality,=
iv class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:tahoma,sans-serif;font-size=
:large">Has anyone else noted mortality?=C2=A0 I assume for every dead bird=
ass=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:tahoma,sans-serif;font-size:larg=
=3D"4"><a href=3D"mailto:bmaybank@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">Blake Mayban=
k</a><br>

White&#39;s Lake, Nova Scotia<br>

</a><br>