[NatureNS] woodcocks seem to have left

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 14:24:34 -0300

I took a walk just now, took about 2 hours and poked about all along the
road, looking into green spots at edges of foundations and around under
trees. . I went not that far but down to beside road parallel to theGolf
course, Rd#1, here in White Point, Queens to the bend, not on down to cross
the golf course for those that know this area. I didn't see a sign of a
woodcock. Here on this property they are gone. Droppings show where they
were.
What is amazing me is we have a continuous stream of Robins . The area is
full of them. I had at best count 36....likely more just in my yard. I
couldn't see onto the golf course as the snow drifts were too high yet, but
from experience of walking many years on the course, there are lovely green
spots and from the cacophony I would say that course is chock full of
Robins.
I have seen today something I was wondering if it could happen. I watched as
a Robin took a grape to another bird and gave it to it. It then came back
and got another grape and took it to another bird, which wasn't very
responsive. It poked the other bird and pushed the grape to it. No response.
It then flew into the air squawking and flapping its wings as if lecturing
and  that seem to wake the other bird up so then it went aboard that grape.
I also saw that first bird Take off and chase most other robins around a bit
then came and got another grape. I wonder if there is a mate setup or family
structure .
I stopped to check out that old barn just before the golf course corner. It
didn't survive the winter well at all. I was photographing some parts for a
painting, and realized it was loaded with of Flies crawling from under
shingle edges.  I would call them Blowflies not being a fly expert.
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens

Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd.,
White Point, Queens Co.,