[NatureNS] wind turbines

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 09:19:20 -0300

Last evening I attended a meeting about renewable sources of energy, and
storage of electricity. Very interesting. I am curious about these
structures. Do we have any idea now how they are affecting the bird
population?  There was talk of numbers increasing and their height and size
growing....  my understanding is the peak time for them to run is at night
as that is when we have maximum wind and as battery storage is improved
there will be more and more of them. I actually don't mind them visually,
but I remember doing a land survey on PEI (in Southport just at the end of
the causeway from Charlottetown) back in the 70's and It was a disaster for
the birds.  Has there been an improvement in design, is someone working
toward that end, some warning system to protect the birds somehow. I should
have asked this at the meeting but well, I loose my train of thought very
quickly and probably wouldn't have made any sense.   Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd.,
White Point, Queens Co.,
R.R. # 1 Hunts Point,
Nova Scotia , Canada