[NatureNS] Piping Plover news and question

From: Keith Lowe <mythos25@live.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 08:11:52 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_002B_01D07B41.A8C0C240

On Saturday I observed 5 Piping Plover at Cherry Hill Beach a few hours
before ebb tide. They were in one of the two areas I was seeing them in last
year (about a third of the way down the beach give or take). I didn't see
any at the end of beach on Saturday. On my return trek, I found it odd that
I did not see them in their usual area but then I did see one flyby as I was
nearing the parking area then I saw two more in the dry sand area that is
only about 100 meters from the parking area.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that Cherry Hill
Beach changed over the winter and it may not be good for PIPL. The area that
was roped-off for them last year in which there were some successful
hatchings seems to have lost a lot of its sand (and presumably its appeal to
PIPL). I fear the PIPL may go for the more favourable sandy conditions in
the area that is only about 100 meters from the parking area and I'm sure
the traffic in that area would be devastating on them.

Also yesterday, Paolo and I along with two birders from Italy Paolo is
helping get some North American birds this week hiked Martinique Beach. We
started out on the back side at 3:30 during low tide (too low for the
beginning). But after we were well beyond the end of the road and passed the
break in the dunes area we discovered 10 PIPL with 4 Sanderling feeding on
the mud flats at low tide. I believe that is the most that has ever been
eBirded in Halifax County. They were foraging on the beach side by the time
we returned about 1.5 hours later.

We also observed a Black-bellied Plover as well as an unidentified shore
bird flyby.

Speaking of the two birders from Italy, I was wondering if they considered
the Piping Plover their bird of the day. Nope, for them it was seeing the
Evening Grosbeaks. Thanks again Blaine and Amber.

Keith Lowe

Halifax

------=_NextPart_000_002B_01D07B41.A8C0C240

xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>On Saturday I observed 5 Piping Plover at Cherry Hill =
Beach a few hours before ebb tide. They were in one of the two areas I =
was seeing them in last year (about a third of the way down the beach =
give or take). I didn&#8217;t see any at the end of beach on Saturday. =
On my return trek, I found it odd that I did not see them in their usual =
area but then I did see one flyby as I was nearing the parking area then =
I saw two more in the dry sand area that is only about 100 meters from =
the parking area. <o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Please =
someone correct me if I&#8217;m wrong but it seems to me that Cherry =
Hill Beach changed over the winter and it may not be good for PIPL. The =
area that was roped-off for them last year in which there were some =
successful hatchings seems to have lost a lot of its sand (and =
presumably its appeal to PIPL). I fear the PIPL may go for the more =
favourable sandy conditions in the area that is only about 100 meters =
from the parking area and I&#8217;m sure the traffic in that area would =
be devastating on them.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Also =
yesterday, Paolo and I along with two birders from Italy Paolo is =
helping get some North American birds this week hiked Martinique Beach. =
We started out on the back side at 3:30 during low tide (too low for the =
beginning). But after we were well beyond the end of the road and passed =
the break in the dunes area we discovered 10 PIPL with 4 Sanderling =
feeding on the mud flats at low tide. I believe that is the most that =
has ever been eBirded in Halifax County. They were foraging on the beach =
side by the time we returned about 1.5 hours later. <o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>We also =
observed a Black-bellied Plover as well as an unidentified shore bird =
flyby.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Speaking of the two birders from Italy, I was =
wondering if they considered the Piping Plover their bird of the day. =
Nope, for them it was seeing the Evening Grosbeaks. Thanks again Blaine =
and Amber.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Keith Lowe<o:p></o:p></p><p =
------=_NextPart_000_002B_01D07B41.A8C0C240--