[NatureNS] Squid

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 09:25:03 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a114795769cd18505143b24dd

I have no experience jigging squid...only picked up two in the intertidal
of Pomquet beach years ago. So the only advice on humanely dispatching them
comes from other sources. You could bring a cooler of ice and put them in
there. I couldn't find anything in the Canadian Council of Animal Care
guidelines, but they have a big site, and I may have missed it. In general,
squid and their allies are treated as the most sentient of invertebrates,
and are treated more like fish than lobsters, for example.

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 21 April 2015 at 05:52, John and Nhung <nhungjohn@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Humane issues aside (and not sure about that; maybe a head snip?) you
> gotta watch the tentacles, which can grasp and pull your finger to the be=
ak
> which can inflict a nasty nip.  Also prudent not to wear clothes you don'=
> want to get inked!
>
> The folks here just jig them, carefully unhook them, then toss them into =
> bucket for later processing.
>
> Squid seem to come in irruptions and said irruptions are not an annual
> event, so it's also good to keep the old ears peeled locally!  They are a
> rare feast-common famine phenomenon!

and put them in there. I couldn&#39;t find anything in the Canadian Council=
 of Animal Care guidelines, but they have a big site, and I may have missed=
 it. In general, squid and their allies are treated as the most sentient of=
 invertebrates, and are treated more like fish than lobsters, for example.<=
"all"><div><div class=3D"gmail_signature">_________________________________=
pan dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:nhungjohn@eastlink.ca" target=3D"_bla=
il_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-lef=
t:1ex">Humane issues aside (and not sure about that; maybe a head snip?) yo=
u gotta watch the tentacles, which can grasp and pull your finger to the be=
ak which can inflict a nasty nip.=C2=A0 Also prudent not to wear clothes yo=
u don&#39;t want to get inked!<br>
The folks here just jig them, carefully unhook them, then toss them into a =
bucket for later processing.<br>
Squid seem to come in irruptions and said irruptions are not an annual even=
t, so it&#39;s also good to keep the old ears peeled locally!=C2=A0 They ar=
e a rare feast-common famine phenomenon!<br>
-----Original Message-----<br>
From: <a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens-owner@chebu=
cto.ns.ca</a> [mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca">natu=
rens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca</a>] On Behalf Of <a href=3D"mailto:jocook.ns@gma=