[NatureNS] Birds in Lunenburg, along river to B'water and White Point, Queens

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 19:47:49 -0300

It was change over day at Lunenburg Art Gallery and as it was a very quiet
day traffic wise, I got to do some rubbernecking.
Outside Lunenburg, there were several Great Blue Herons near a boat launch
by the intersection where if you turn right you travel to the intersection
that allows you to go to Blue Rocks.  One had just flown up so I tried to
follow it and it ended up in a wet place behind the old Academy. I managed a
distant photo of it there. In Lunenburg proper, at the Gallery on Duke and
Pelham, there are House Sparrows there were I have come to expect them.
Going back up the river to B'water in Dayspring there was a bald eagle
fishing, touching the water several time before it went right down. I had a
car on my bumper so had to watch, didn't want to go for a swim myself.
At the theatres there was an osprey up on the edge of the nest.
Moving up King Street toward Dufferin st., two Northern Flickers were
shooting across the street toward the river and very nearly got creamed. The
driver hit her brakes, hard.  I arrived home to a tree swallow over our
house and the neighbourhood full of Robins again.
The grapevine is still  popular with a variety of birds including; song,
white throats, Savannah and a Chipping sparrow. There are Chickadees,
Juncos, an American goldfinch, a pine siskin, Downie, male and females wood
peckers as well as a Hairy, male and females, possibly 2 females. White
Breasted nuthatches, one considerably larger than another, possibly a pair.
A brown creeper in the maple was a treat. Also we have many many Grackles,
too many, and Starlings, Red-winged blackbirds, Brown headed Cowbirds male
and female, and Flickers, likely 3 possible 4. I tried to get photos of what
I think was a Black backed woodpecker but I couldn't tell for sure. I will
keep an eye out for it again. There is a Raven around again checking out all
the Grackle perches. Crows, Grackles, Starlings and well everything black
and a few Blue Jays throw in for protection! There are several Herons in the
area as well.
Lots of Colts Foots along the 103
Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd.,