[NatureNS] King's Co. ponds, ducks, geese, cormorants, roads

Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 09:50:39 -0300
From: "George E. Forsyth" <g4syth@nspes.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

treacherous snow ban
This message is in MIME format.

--=_WPAginQm29uWG7uaYxMHeQ1

  Hi Jim,

I have been seeing the scaup on the Port Williams sewer pond for a while
now.

I have taken the three to be a drake greater scaup and a pair of lesser
scaup. The face pattern of the female is to my eye less distinct as you
mention, the bird guides seem to say that the lesser scaup female has less
white behind the bill than a greater scaup female. The two drakes seem to
be slightly different, one is whiter than the other and the head of the
whiter one seems to be larger in proportion to its body. Yesterday I walked
along the east side of the pond and was able to see them with the light
behind them and the silhouettes seems to suggest rounder head on the whiter
sided drake and flatter heads on the two others, all three were in alert
posture because I was so close.

I'll take any help with identifying scaup!  At first I entered these into
eBird as scaup sp. Then Richard showed me his photo and I read Jake
Walker's notes and share their identification of the obviously whiter drake
as a greater scaup, but I am still not certain about the other two.
Certainly a challenge!

Respectfully,

  George Forsyth

Quoting Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> FROM: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
>>     SUBJECT: [VALLEYNATURE] KING'S CO. PONDS, DUCKS, GEESE, CORMORANTS,
>> ROADS
>>     DATE: April 28, 2015 at 6:10:24 PM ADT
>>     TO: Nature BNS <nature@blomidonnaturalists.ca>
>>
>>                APRIL 28, 2015 - Continuing nasty “spring” weather
—
>> cold, windy, with frequent rain and wet snow.  I drove around through
>> it and checked out several ponds.  Most local ponds are either totally
>> open now or well into opening up.
>>
>>       PORT WILLIAMS SEWAGE/SEWER PONDS:  15 RING-NECKED DUCKS consisted
>> of 3 m/f prs + 12 ‘extra’ males; 3 GREATER SCAUPS were a single male
>> and a m/f pair, but the female was weird-looking, with a poorly defined
>> light patch behind the beak and another poorly defined light patch on
>> the cheek (sort of scoter-like)(this head pattern is shown in Sibley as
>> a non-breeding female); no sign of the male long-tailed duck or
>> oldsquaw that was reported earlier; also no puddle ducks, nor
>> red-winged blackbirds, nor swallows.  BEWARE that the ACCESS ROAD is
>> passable but very tricky to avoid the deepest low spots.
>>
>>       STELLA’S POND (nw. New Minas, adjacent to Cornwallis River): 2
>> CANADA GEESE (female prominently ON A NEST on west end of island) with
>> her mate dutifully nearby in the water; also 2 DOUBLE-CRESTED
>> CORMORANTS (and 1 more seen flying somewhere else today).
>>
>>       CANARD POND: totally open water, but the only waterfowl were a
>> pair of CANADA GEESE — one goose was on top of a large muskrat lodge
>> (perhaps will be a nest-site?).  BEWARE that the ACCESS PATH still has
>> a treacherous snow bank at its east end, where I got stuck today.  I
>> was very lucky that 3 teenagers noticed my predicament and were very
>> generous to extricate me!
>>
>>       SAXON ST. POND: totally open, but no birds at all.
>>
>>       GESNER’S POND (M. Dyke Rd., n. of Belcher St.): not yet
>> completely open, and no birds seen there today.
>>
>>       KIDSTON’S POND (upper Church St.): not quite open water yet, and
>> no birds.
>>
>>       VAN NOSTRAND’S POND (the new part)(ne. of Pt. Wms., near
Starr’s
>> Point): water open, but no birds seen (I saw the usual pair of CANADA
>> GEESE there a couple of days ago, and they usually nest there, perhaps
>> on the cattail island) — also SPECKLED ALDER was in flower there
>> earlier.

--=_WPAginQm29uWG7uaYxMHeQ1

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
I have been seeing the scaup on the Port Williams sewer pond for a while now.<br>
I have taken the three to be a drake greater scaup and a pair of lesser scaup. The face pattern of the female is to my eye less distinct as you mention, the bird guides seem to say that the lesser scaup female has less white behind the bill than a greater scaup female. The two drakes seem to be slightly different, one is whiter than the other and the head of the whiter one seems to be larger in proportion to its body. Yesterday I walked along the east side of the pond and was able to see them with the light behind them and the silhouettes seems to suggest rounder head on the whiter sided drake and flatter heads on the two others, all three were in alert posture because I was so close.<br>
I'll take any help with identifying scaup!&nbsp; At first I entered these into eBird as scaup sp. Then Richard showed me his photo and I read Jake Walker's notes and share their identification of the obviously whiter drake as a greater scaup, but I am still not certain about the other two. Certainly a challenge!<br>
Respectfully,</p>
Quoting Jim Wolford &lt;jimwolford@eastlink.ca&gt;:</p>