[NatureNS] photo needed - of a dandelion for identification purposes

Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 18:58:35 -0400
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 5/5/2015 6:40 PM, N Robinson wrote:

> I am writing a column on using dandelion petals to make jelly and want
> to make sure my readers do not use the wrong plant!

* do you have T. palustre in NS yet?
http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.ca/2010/04/first-dandelion-oil-on-canvas-5-x-7in.html

> If anyone has a good photo (high res for printing) or a diagram showing
> the different parts of the plant for identification, I would appreciate
> receiving it (with your permission and photo credit please).

>  Any other information about dandelions, recipes, etc. are welcome too!

* "Taraxacum officinale (Common Dandelion) is the most-used herb in the
actual lawn. Not cutting the lawn early in the spring encourages
Dandelion clones with easily-harvested upright leaves to grow in the
lawn as well as in the edges of the woods. And, yes, Virginia, the
flowerheads are also edible, and Dandelion flower fritters are a spring
staple. Other co-dominant species of the lawn with edible salad foliage
are Plantago lanceolata (Narrow-leaved Plantain), P. major (Broad-leaved
Plantain), Trifolium pratense (Red Clover), Glechoma hederacea
(Gill-over the Ground), Dactylis glomerata (Orchard Grass), Daucus
carota (Carrot), and Oenothera biennis (Yellow Evening Primrose)...

"Repeatedly mow only heavily used areas. The myth that Dandelions become
intolerablely bitter once the flowers open is a profoundly false urban
legend spread by the minions of conventional lawn care in an attempt to
promote the sale of commercial tediocultural products. Dandelions remain
a palatable and essential ingredient in salads and sandwiches throughout
the summer. Most of the lawn will continue to produce herbs through the
late spring, and the lawn need only be cut where the herbs are not
producing useful products, or where Grass is an impedement to movement...."