[NatureNS] Algae Matattall Lake

From: Mary Macaulay <marymacaulay@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 16:43:05 -0300
To: Nature Nova Scotia <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

l've just been informed that Matattall Lake which is just east of Angevine Lake (different watershed but very close by) is algae ridden. Apparently the problem started last year and people are being told not to swim in it. No one seems to know why it suddenly turned green. I know the freshwater clams in our lake are key to the crystal clear waters here. I understand they're very sensitive to pesticides and wonder if Matattall's clam population is still healthy. They've got all kinds of experts & political types out there looking at the problem.
Scary!!

With kindest regards,

Mary (Macaulay), P.Eng.
1-902-293-1533