[NatureNS] Temperance St. New Glasgow Chimney Swifts

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 07:10:34 -0300
To: NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>,

Hi all
After great presentations to Pictou Co. Naturalists by Andrew Hebda on sea serpents and  StFx prof Cory Bishop on citizen science project on mapping amphibian egg locales, most of the group went to view the Chimney Swifts gathering for the evening roost ritual at the  old school on Temperance St., New Glasgow. We arrived at 20:26  with temp 16C, clear skies and light winds. Immediately we had a few birds flying around the chimney with a couple going in at 20:33 but we had a good show of a sky full of twittering swifts making a dramatic entrance mostly between 21:01-21-04. After a week of cold evenings when the birds either went in early or maybe stayed in the chimney for parts of the day it was great to see this fine display on a beautiful spring evening.  The final tally for the evening was 325 swifts.
By the way should you be out walking and see a puddle, pond etc. check for frog or salamander eggs, take a photo and send the info along to http://citizensciencens.ca where you can enter your photo and some info to the data base for the Bishop study. Really pretty easy way to contribute to Citizen Science.

Cheers

Ken McKenna
Plymouth, Pictou Co.

Sent from my iPad