[NatureNS] Prospect Peninsula -- NO Fox Sparrows or Boreal Chickadees

From: Blake Maybank <bmaybank@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 11:24:27 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--089e0153742a70e51b05161f9cc3

Fox Sparrows have historically bred in the southern coastal portions of the
Prospect Peninsula and the Terence Bay Peninsula, but I have not
encountered them singing since 2011.  I tried again today, hiking into
Wagner's Beach early this morning.  It would be an exaggeration to say that
the woods and coastal barrens were alive with bird song, but there were
birds singing.

I recorded just 18 species in total.  Of note:

Only two *American Robins*.  Almost everyone I've talked to in local
coastal communities reported some dead robins earlier this year during the
late spring, sometimes in considerable numbers.  I suspect the scale and
scope of robin mortality in Nova Scotia this spring was very large, in the
thousands, or tens of thousands.  I also heard not a single *Hermit Thrush*,
which is unusual as well.

There were only three territorial Black-capped Chickadees, and NO *Boreal
Chickadees*, which is distressing.  This used to be a reliable location for
the species, but I have not heard them in three years now.

Warblers are always more scarce along the coast than inland, but I had 3
Yellow-rumped, 1 Parula, 2 Magnolia, and 6 singing male *Common
Yellowthroats*, which had arrived overnight, as there were none present
yesterday morning.

And, as feared, there were no *Fox Sparrows*.  Song Sparrows were
widespread, but only one singing junco.

Overall, not a cheery morning.

--
Blake Maybank <bmaybank@gmail.com>
White's Lake, Nova Scotia

--089e0153742a70e51b05161f9cc3

ault" style=3D"font-family:tahoma,sans-serif;font-size:large">Fox Sparrows =
have historically bred in the southern coastal portions of the Prospect Pen=
insula and the Terence Bay Peninsula, but I have not encountered them singi=
ng since 2011.=C2=A0 I tried again today, hiking into Wagner&#39;s Beach ea=
rly this morning.=C2=A0 It would be an exaggeration to say that the woods a=
nd coastal barrens were alive with bird song, but there were birds singing.=
-serif;font-size:large">I recorded just 18 species in total.=C2=A0 Of note:=
-serif;font-size:large">Only two <b>American Robins</b>.=C2=A0 Almost every=
one I&#39;ve talked to in local coastal communities reported some dead robi=
ns earlier this year during the late spring, sometimes in considerable numb=
ers.=C2=A0 I suspect the scale and scope of robin mortality in Nova Scotia =
this spring was very large, in the thousands, or tens of thousands.=C2=A0 I=
 also heard not a single <b>Hermit Thrush</b>, which is unusual as well.<br=
rif;font-size:large">There were only three territorial Black-capped Chickad=
ees, and NO <b>Boreal Chickadees</b>, which is distressing.=C2=A0 This used=
 to be a reliable location for the species, but I have not heard them in th=
ly:tahoma,sans-serif;font-size:large">Warblers are always more scarce along=
 the coast than inland, but I had 3 Yellow-rumped, 1 Parula, 2 Magnolia, an=
d 6 singing male <b>Common Yellowthroats</b>, which had arrived overnight, =
ail_default" style=3D"font-family:tahoma,sans-serif;font-size:large">And, a=
s feared, there were no <b>Fox Sparrows</b>.=C2=A0 Song Sparrows were wides=
" style=3D"font-family:tahoma,sans-serif;font-size:large">Overall, not a ch=
re"><div dir=3D"ltr"><font size=3D"4"><a href=3D"mailto:bmaybank@gmail.com"=
 target=3D"_blank">Blake Maybank</a><br>

White&#39;s Lake, Nova Scotia<br>

--089e0153742a70e51b05161f9cc3--