[NatureNS] I went on quite a woodlands birding outing today

Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 06:24:46 -0300
From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I&amp;#8217;m in!&lt;o:
--------------080404020306020109020801

Hi Keith.  I have the Songfinder from the U.S. that takes all those high
frequencies and drops them down to my hearing range.  I too have lost my
high frequencies.  I can be in the woods and there are no birds around.
As soon as I put on the directional headphones and turn it on, there are
chips and songs everywhere.  It cost around $700 but is great for us old
birders.

Here is their URL   http://hearbirdsagain.com/

Don

Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
On 16/05/2015 9:18 PM, Keith Lowe wrote:

> I went on a woodlands trek at the end of Myra Rd today with Chris &
> Kate and wow it was unbelievable. The numbers of some of species was
> well beyond anything I thought possible around her these days. I don’t
> what the final tally of Black-throated Green and Blackburnian were and
> I won’t quote the number of them I think we passed because many
> wouldn’t believe it. Our checklist will have considerably less because
> we were counting conservatively by making sure we were well passed the
> ones we just counted before we counted more and I know we missed many
> doing that but it is the best that can be done when they are that
> plentiful.
>
> Those were the two most plentiful species but we also had good numbers
> of Winter Wren, Black-throated Blue, Magnolia, Black-and-white,
> Northern Parula, Blue-headed Vireo as well as 1 to a few numbers of
> many other good species. But my highlight of the day was 5
> Bay-breasted Warbler in 3 different locations (a   presumed pair and 3
> singles). The first one was amazing to see, we were walking along the
> trail with a chorus of warblers singing then all of a sudden somehow
> Chris picked out a Bay-breasted from that and proclaimed
> “Bay-breasted!” and went tearing into the woods. We followed and sure
> enough there was one in there.
>
> The only bummer of the day was a reality check on my hearing. More
> than a few people including me thought I had excellent hearing. Well I
> have to dial that back to saying I have quite good hearing and maybe
> very good for my age but now that I see what the excellent hearing of
> Chris and Kate can get you I’m not going to think I have that anymore.
> But I did get see or hear pretty much everything today but I often had
> to stop and concentrate on picking out the single species. I don’t
> know how many times I had to do that for Blackburnian today but it was
> unbelievable—and often we could hear 2 or 3 in the same area.
>
> The terrain there is quite tough to navigate and while I don’t know
> for sure and I don’t know if Chris would have the time but I got the
> impression that Chris would like to lead an event into there during
> breeding season if there were enough bush-whacking (not much),
> swamp-crawling (quite a bit) , hard-core birders that would go on it.
> I’m in!
>
> Thanks Chris and Kate, I sure learned a lot today and saw some
> fabulous habitat.
>
> Keith Lowe

--------------080404020306020109020801

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      that takes all those high frequencies and drops them down to my
      hearing range.  I too have lost my high frequencies.  I can be in
      the woods and there are no birds around.  As soon as I put on the
      directional headphones and </font>turn it on, there are chips and
    songs everywhere.  It cost around $700 but is great for us old
    birders.<br>
    Here is their URL   http://hearbirdsagain.com/<br>
    Don<br>
      donmacneill@bellaliant.net</div>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:BLU405-EAS265389F849A7BC1E54EB08DB0C50@phx.gbl"
      type="cite">
        charset=windows-1252">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
          Myra Rd today with Chris &amp; Kate and wow it was
          unbelievable. The numbers of some of species was well beyond
          anything I thought possible around her these days. I don’t
          what the final tally of Black-throated Green and Blackburnian
          were and I won’t quote the number of them I think we passed
          because many wouldn’t believe it. Our checklist will have
          considerably less because we were counting conservatively by
          making sure we were well passed the ones we just counted
          before we counted more and I know we missed many doing that
          but it is the best that can be done when they are that
          plentiful. <o:p></o:p></p>