[NatureNS] I went on quite a woodlands birding outing today

Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 13:56:25 -0300
From: Nicholas Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

	{font-family:"Calibri"=2
--047d7b66f2f10fa0f705165e13ed

9 9th ico699
On May 17, 2015 1:46 PM, "Keith Lowe" <mythos25@live.com> wrote:

> Hi Don, Thanks but I haven't lost anything in my high range yet and can
hear Blacckburnians, kinglets, blackpoll etc with no problem but the
distance that Chris and Kate can hear all birds regardless of frequency is
unlike anything I've witnessed yet.

> Sent from my Windows Phone
> ________________________________

frequencies and drops them down to my hearing range.  I too have lost my
high frequencies.  I can be in the woods and there are no birds around.  As
soon as I put on the directional headphones and turn it on, there are chips
and songs everywhere.  It cost around $700 but is great for us old birders.

> Here is their URL   http://hearbirdsagain.com/
>
> Don
>
> Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
> On 16/05/2015 9:18 PM, Keith Lowe wrote:
>>
>> I went on a woodlands trek at the end of Myra Rd today with Chris & Kate
and wow it was unbelievable. The numbers of some of species was well beyond
anything I thought possible around her these days. I don=E2=80=99t what the=
 final
tally of Black-throated Green and Blackburnian were and I won=E2=80=99t quo=
te the
number of them I think we passed because many wouldn=E2=80=99t believe it. =
Our
checklist will have considerably less because we were counting
conservatively by making sure we were well passed the ones we just counted
before we counted more and I know we missed many doing that but it is the
best that can be done when they are that plentiful.

>> Those were the two most plentiful species but we also had good numbers
of Winter Wren, Black-throated Blue, Magnolia, Black-and-white, Northern
Parula, Blue-headed Vireo as well as 1 to a few numbers of many other good
species. But my highlight of the day was 5 Bay-breasted Warbler in 3
different locations (a   presumed pair and 3 singles). The first one was
amazing to see, we were walking along the trail with a chorus of warblers
singing then all of a sudden somehow Chris picked out a Bay-breasted from
that and proclaimed =E2=80=9CBay-breasted!=E2=80=9D and went tearing into t=
he woods. We
followed and sure enough there was one in there.

>> The only bummer of the day was a reality check on my hearing. More than
a few people including me thought I had excellent hearing. Well I have to
dial that back to saying I have quite good hearing and maybe very good for
my age but now that I see what the excellent hearing of Chris and Kate can
get you I=E2=80=99m not going to think I have that anymore. But I did get s=
ee or
hear pretty much everything today but I often had to stop and concentrate
on picking out the single species. I don=E2=80=99t know how many times I ha=
d to do
that for Blackburnian today but it was unbelievable=E2=80=94and often we co=
uld hear
2 or 3 in the same area.

>> The terrain there is quite tough to navigate and while I don=E2=80=99t k=
now for
sure and I don=E2=80=99t know if Chris would have the time but I got the im=
pression
that Chris would like to lead an event into there during breeding season if
there were enough bush-whacking (not much), swamp-crawling (quite a bit) ,
hard-core birders that would go on it. I=E2=80=99m in!

>> Thanks Chris and Kate, I sure learned a lot today and saw some fabulous
habitat.

>> Keith Lowe
>>

>>  88tf

--047d7b66f2f10fa0f705165e13ed

On May 17, 2015 1:46 PM, &quot;Keith Lowe&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mytho=
s25@live.com">mythos25@live.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Hi Don, Thanks but I haven&#39;t lost anything in my high range yet an=
d can hear Blacckburnians, kinglets, blackpoll etc with no problem but the =
distance that Chris and Kate can hear all birds regardless of frequency is =
unlike anything I&#39;ve witnessed yet.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Sent from my Windows Phone<br>
&gt; ________________________________<br>
&gt; From: Don MacNeill<br>
&gt; Sent: =E2=80=8E2015-=E2=80=8E05-=E2=80=8E17 6:27 AM<br>
&gt; To: <a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca=
</a><br>
&gt; Subject: Re: [NatureNS] I went on quite a woodlands birding outing tod=
ay<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Hi Keith.=C2=A0 I have the Songfinder from the U.S. that takes all tho=
se high frequencies and drops them down to my hearing range.=C2=A0 I too ha=
ve lost my high frequencies.=C2=A0 I can be in the woods and there are no b=
irds around.=C2=A0 As soon as I put on the directional headphones and turn =
it on, there are chips and songs everywhere.=C2=A0 It cost around $700 but =
is great for us old birders.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Here is their URL=C2=A0=C2=A0 <a href=3D"http://hearbirdsagain.com/">h=
ttp://hearbirdsagain.com/</a><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Don<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Don MacNeill <a href=3D"mailto:donmacneill@bellaliant.net">donmacneill=
@bellaliant.net</a><br>
&gt; On 16/05/2015 9:18 PM, Keith Lowe wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; I went on a woodlands trek at the end of Myra Rd today with Chris =
&amp; Kate and wow it was unbelievable. The numbers of some of species was =
well beyond anything I thought possible around her these days. I don=E2=80=
=99t what the final tally of Black-throated Green and Blackburnian were and=
 I won=E2=80=99t quote the number of them I think we passed because many wo=
uldn=E2=80=99t believe it. Our checklist will have considerably less becaus=
e we were counting conservatively by making sure we were well passed the on=
es we just counted before we counted more and I know we missed many doing t=
hat but it is the best that can be done when they are that plentiful.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; =C2=A0<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Those were the two most plentiful species but we also had good num=
bers of Winter Wren, Black-throated Blue, Magnolia, Black-and-white, Northe=
rn Parula, Blue-headed Vireo as well as 1 to a few numbers of many other go=
od species. But my highlight of the day was 5 Bay-breasted Warbler in 3 dif=
ferent locations (a =C2=A0=C2=A0presumed pair and 3 singles). The first one=
 was amazing to see, we were walking along the trail with a chorus of warbl=
ers singing then all of a sudden somehow Chris picked out a Bay-breasted fr=
om that and proclaimed =E2=80=9CBay-breasted!=E2=80=9D and went tearing int=
o the woods. We followed and sure enough there was one in there.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; =C2=A0<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; The only bummer of the day was a reality check on my hearing. More=
 than a few people including me thought I had excellent hearing. Well I hav=
e to dial that back to saying I have quite good hearing and maybe very good=
 for my age but now that I see what the excellent hearing of Chris and Kate=
 can get you I=E2=80=99m not going to think I have that anymore. But I did =
get see or hear pretty much everything today but I often had to stop and co=
ncentrate on picking out the single species. I don=E2=80=99t know how many =
times I had to do that for Blackburnian today but it was unbelievable=E2=80=
=94and often we could hear 2 or 3 in the same area.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; =C2=A0<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; The terrain there is quite tough to navigate and while I don=E2=80=
=99t know for sure and I don=E2=80=99t know if Chris would have the time bu=
t I got the impression that Chris would like to lead an event into there du=
ring breeding season if there were enough bush-whacking (not much), swamp-c=
rawling (quite a bit) , hard-core birders that would go on it. I=E2=80=99m =
in!<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; =C2=A0<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Thanks Chris and Kate, I sure learned a lot today and saw some fab=
ulous habitat.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; =C2=A0<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>