[NatureNS] Sugar Maple an invasive species >); wild carrot

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 11:20:41 -0300

Dear All,                        May 24, 2015
    I have lost track of seasonal timing but each year a short thicket of
Maple seedlings (Sugar & Norway) lift samara wings upright on the lawn, shed
the wings and proceed to grow. Perhaps a dozen survive per typical year but
the vast majority become smothered by more vigorous ground cover and die
before the following spring.
    This year is entirely different with in the order of 1,000-5,000 Sugar
Maple seedlings going into their second year on our relatively small front
lawn (30' x 50').
    In early May I planted an English Hawthorn on the lawn, [just to one
side of a temporary compost heap that I had built to speed rotting of a
Sugar Maple stump of a tree cut spring (2013 ?)] and didn't replace some
soil from the planting hole so there was a one-litre depression for
watering. Recently I noticed some dense patches (~1 dm^2 total) of Wild
Carrot seedlings on the reserve loose soil. One typical tuft from a ~1 cm x
~1 cm area had 48 seedlings. I am guessing that I dug up some underground
store of Wild Carrot seeds; perhaps gathered by ants or some other small
invertebrate.
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville