[NatureNS] Temperance St swift watch night 2

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 11:54:27 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,

Hi all
After all of the wind yesterday, May 24, it abated just in time for the swift show at Temperance St., New Glasgow last night.  It was 18C, clear skies and slight breeze when I arrived at 20:25 and Tiffany Gilchrist was already there ahead of me and she noted that a few swifts were just starting to assemble.  Numbers built up with each pass by the chimney and first 2 went in at 20:52. We had to wait till 21:11 when the first bolus of 60 sucked rapidly into the chimney. Over the next 8 minutes there were about five more bursts of rapid entries. The night tally was an impressive 528 birds. It was good to have Tiffany along as I thought I had a clear moment to jot down a number and Tiffany noted 60 go in when I briefly had my head down for 3-4 seconds.

Keep in mind the date of June 2 for a talk on swifts and piping plovers at the New Glasgow library followed by a viewing of the swifts.  More to follow.

Cheers
Ken

Sent from my iPad