[NatureNS] Blackburnian Warbler

Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 17:23:45 -0300
From: Jeff MacLeod <jeffnaturens@gmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--047d7b621e94741fd80517667c4a

Hi Nancy,
Thanks for the input! The lower ending note was my reluctance with
labelling this as Blackburnian. I had thought American Redstart for the
same reason. Flipping through the recordings on xeno canto and dendroica,
it seems that there are some Blackburnian song types that end on a low note
(usually after going quite high in pitch). Lower endings are less common,
but exist. If you compare the sonogram from my recording to others on xeno
canto, there are some similarities with Blackburnian but nothing identical.
This one (http://www.xeno-canto.org/83571) shares a component towards the
end with my recording, but doesn't have the low ending and is more of a
two-part trill rather than continuous rise. So, continued confusion. I
flipped through all the american redstart sonograms on xeno canto as well,
and didn't find anything that looked quite like my recording. My recording
seemed to share more with blackburnian sonograms on xeno canto than with
redstart sonograms. Of course, this doesn't make me feel 100% that I'm
correct!

Thanks again for the input!
Jeff

--
Jeff MacLeod
Halifax

--047d7b621e94741fd80517667c4a

 note was my reluctance with labelling this as Blackburnian. I had thought =
American Redstart for the same reason. Flipping through the recordings on x=
eno canto and dendroica, it seems that there are some Blackburnian song typ=
es that end on a low note (usually after going quite high in pitch). Lower =
endings are less common, but exist. If you compare the sonogram from my rec=
ording to others on xeno canto, there are some similarities with Blackburni=
an but nothing identical. This one (<a href=3D"http://www.xeno-canto.org/83=
571">http://www.xeno-canto.org/83571</a>) shares a component towards the en=
d with my recording, but doesn&#39;t have the low ending and is more of a t=
wo-part trill rather than continuous rise. So, continued confusion. I flipp=
ed through all the american redstart sonograms on xeno canto as well, and d=
idn&#39;t find anything that looked quite like my recording. My recording s=
eemed to share more with blackburnian sonograms on xeno canto than with red=
start sonograms. Of course, this doesn&#39;t make me feel 100% that I&#39;m=
n dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:nancypdowd@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank"=
uote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1e=
x">I think that is an American Redstart. Blackburnians usually go up the sc=
ale and over the top at the end of their songs. Yours goes down in pitch at=
 the end.<br>
Thank you for bringing up Xeno Canto. I had not come across that website.<b=
r>
Leod &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jeffnaturens@gmail.com">jeffnaturens@gmail.com</=
a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Hello folks,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I recorded a bird on Saturday morning that I wasn&#39;t able to see. I=
 was a bit uncertain about the ID, but now am thinking it was a blackburnia=
n warbler. I&#39;ve compared the sonogram of this song to a variety on xeno=
 canto, and this one seems to have components of Blackburnian songs on that=
 site. I went to a different location this morning and heard another bird s=
inging a very similar song type, but again couldn&#39;t see it (it was acro=
ss a lake). I&#39;m looking for some feedback on whether others agree with =
the ID as blackburnian. Any feedback would be appreciated. See xeno canto l=
ink for recording.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.xeno-canto.org/246776" target=3D"_blank">http://=
www.xeno-canto.org/246776</a><br>