[NatureNS] Massive Snapping Turtle at the Herbert River Trail

From: "Dusan Soudek" <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 08:22:54 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01D0A67B.5014E800

     In the past I have observed snapping turtles walking, swimming, =
lurking underwater, sunning themselves, eating a hot dog, digging a =
nest, and laying eggs. But on May 30, on Herbert River next to the N.S. =
Nature Trust=E2=80=99s new Devils Jaw Conservation Lands, I observed two =
snappers mating. Or I assume they were in flagrante delicto.
     The water level in the river was quite low, and I was taking an =
empty canoe down a small rapid. There were quite a few rocks above =
water, and suddenly one of them started to move and then slide into the =
river. I realized they were two large snapping turtles, closely attached =
to each other by their legs.
      They tumbled in the current down the rapid, not letting go. I =
noticed that one of them, presumably the male, was biting the other in =
the front leg. All three of us reached the pool below the rapid, and I =
managed to reach for my camera. The snappers were attached to each other =
for what seemed like eternity. Then they finally separated, faced each =
other for a little while, and finally swam off in different directions.=20
      A photo of them, separated but facing each other, made it to the =
N.S. Nature Trust=E2=80=99s Facebook page... Sorry, snapping turtles, =
for the interruption.
Dusan Soudek