[NatureNS] pioneer pland ID

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 19:23:32 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

We had a well dug in a low spot last Fall and right now it has a shallow pond around it (about 12'x9' now but it rapidly shrinks if there is no significant rain and will disappear completely once lake levels drop). The bottom of this temporary pool is the backfilled excavated soil and a sparse layer of leaves. This plant is the first to colonize and just became noticeable this week. The green part is 18" tall so far and it is growing in about 3-4" of water:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/18903031485/in/dateposted-public/

Does anyone know what it is? A cattail? There are no other plants like it in the nearby long-established vernal pools.

Northern Leopard Frogs have also taken a liking to this newly dug body of water. At least three inevitably jump into the water whenever I walk by and their choked snores are a welcome sound. Not the type of bare place I expected to see the N. Leopards hanging out, however.

Thanks for any help with the plant, Nancy