[NatureNS] N Leopard Frog Spot size

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 13:07:49 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

This is one of the Northern Leopard Frogs (Lithobates pipiens, formerly Rana pipiens) hanging out in my temporary well pond:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/18808723108/in/dateposted-public/

All of the images I view in guides and online show the N Leopards as having much larger spots than this one, such as the one shown here:
http://naturemappingfoundation.org/natmap/facts/northern_leopard_frog_k6.html

These are definitely L. pippins based on their calls. Does anyone know if this is a highly variable characteristic within or between populations? Or related to something else (like the muddy pond it is living in)?

Nancy